Newton's law of cooling question, no inital temperature given

An hour later, the temperature is found to be 30°C, so t=1. Plugging those numbers into the equation, we get:\frac{dT}{dt} = k (T - Ts) \frac{d(30)}{d(1)} = k (30 - 20)k = 1Plugging in k, Ts, and T, we get:1 = 1 (31 - 20)1 = 11Therefore, the initial temperature of the object was 31°C.
miniradman

Homework Statement

The temperature of an object has been lying at rest and cooling for sometime had been found to be 31oC. An hour later, the same object was found to be 30oC. The room was also What was the initial temperature of the object, assume Newton's law of cooling applies.

Homework Equations

Newton's law of cooling

[itex]\frac{dT}{dt}[/itex] = k (T - Ts) where:

Ts = ambient temperature
T = the temperature at anytime
k = constant of proportionality

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, normally when I do a Newtons law of cooling question, I start off with the inital temperature followed by a temperature at an "X" time. And then I would convert the formula into it's exponential form i.e. y = Aekt+c. then I would use the initial temperature (or the temperature when t=) to cancel out one of the variables. However, I'm trying to find the inital temperature, so this method won't work for me anylonger and I'm not sure how to proceede :confused:

Thanks guys/gals, any help will be greatly appreciated :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
miniradman said:

Homework Statement

The temperature of an object has been lying at rest and cooling for sometime had been found to be 31oC. An hour later, the same object was found to be 30oC. The room was also What was the initial temperature of the object, assume Newton's law of cooling applies.
"The room was also" - what? Where's the rest of this sentence?
miniradman said:

Homework Equations

Newton's law of cooling

[itex]\frac{dT}{dt}[/itex] = k (T - Ts) where:

Ts = ambient temperature
T = the temperature at anytime
k = constant of proportionality

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, normally when I do a Newtons law of cooling question, I start off with the inital temperature followed by a temperature at an "X" time. And then I would convert the formula into it's exponential form i.e. y = Aekt+c. then I would use the initial temperature (or the temperature when t=) to cancel out one of the variables. However, I'm trying to find the inital temperature, so this method won't work for me anylonger and I'm not sure how to proceede :confused:

Thanks guys/gals, any help will be greatly appreciated :biggrin:

Sorry, the room was also found to be 20 degrees celsius

Take the initial temperature to be 31°C at t=0. The time spent lying at rest in the room doesn't matter before the temp was measured.

Related to Newton's law of cooling question, no inital temperature given

What is Newton's Law of Cooling?

Newton's Law of Cooling is a mathematical model that describes the rate at which an object cools down when placed in a different temperature environment.

What is the equation for Newton's Law of Cooling?

The equation for Newton's Law of Cooling is T(t) = Te + (T0 - Te)e-kt, where T(t) is the temperature of the object at time t, Te is the ambient temperature, T0 is the initial temperature of the object, and k is a constant value determined by the properties of the object and its environment.

How does Newton's Law of Cooling apply to real-life situations?

Newton's Law of Cooling can be applied to various real-life situations, such as determining the cooling rate of food or beverages, predicting the temperature change in a room after turning off the heater or air conditioner, and understanding the cooling process of electronic devices.

What are the assumptions made in Newton's Law of Cooling?

The assumptions made in Newton's Law of Cooling include that the object is in a closed system, the temperature of the environment remains constant, and there is no heat transfer from the object to the environment other than through convection.

Can Newton's Law of Cooling be used if the initial temperature of the object is not given?

Yes, Newton's Law of Cooling can still be used if the initial temperature of the object is not given. In this case, the equation can be rearranged to solve for T0, the initial temperature, using the ambient temperature, Te, and the temperature at a specific time, T(t).