Newton's Law of Cooling differential equation

In summary: It is a numerical method to approximate the solution to a differential equation. In this case, we have the differential equation dt/dT = k(T-Ts). So, we can use Euler's method to approximate the solution by taking small time steps, h, and using the formula T(t+h) = T(t) + (dt/dT)(h). So, for the given problem, we would use the given values to find the initial conditions (T(0) = 96C, T_s = 25C), and then use Euler's method to approximate the temperature after 10 minutes by taking small time steps (h=2 minutes). I hope that helps!
Keldroc

Homework Statement

Newton's Law of Cooling states that the rate of cooling of an object is proportional to the temperature difference between the object and its surroundings. Suppose t is time, T is the temperature of the object, and Ts is the surrounding temperature. The following differential equation describes Newton's Law
dt/dT=k(T−Ts)
where k is a constant.

Suppose that we consider a 96C cup of coffee in a 25C room. Suppose it is known that the coffee cools at a rate of 2C/min. when it is 70C Answer the following questions.
1. Find the constant k in the differential equation.
Answer (in per minute): k=

2. What is the limiting value of the temperature?
Answer (in Celsius): T=

3. Use Euler's method with step size h=2 minutes to estimate the temperature of the coffee after 10 minutes.
Answer (in Celsius): T(10)

Can someone help me get started with this problem? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, so this seems to be a basic first order ODE problem.

Newton's Law of Cooling is as follows

[tex]\frac{dT}{dt} = k(T - T_s)[/tex]

For the given system (cup of coffee + room) we have

[tex]T[/tex] = temperature of the coffee

[tex]T_s[/tex] = temperature of the room, which we'll assume constant as the room temperature varies much slower than the cup of coffee, so significantly slower, that we'll assume it as constant for this problem.

[tex]\frac{dT}{dt}[/tex] states the rate of change of T, or the temperature of the cup of coffee.

[tex]k[/tex] is a constant which varies for every system, you can simply find the constant for this system by using the initial values given in the problem.

The limiting value for the temperature happens when the system reaches equilibrium, that is, when the coffee and the room temperature are equal, as we assumed the room temperature to be constant, that means the limiting value or the minimum value for the temperature of the coffee happens when [tex]T = T_s[/tex], that is, the coffee is at room temperature, in this case, we have [tex]\frac{dT}{dt} = 0[/tex] which means the heat exchange between the coffee and the room has ceased.

There's not much I can do for you as if I go any further I'll basically solve it for you (if I haven't already), this problem is a simple plug-in values for the variables.

Read the explanation above and try to solve it, if you still have any difficulties let me know.

Figured out the first two, but I don't understand how to use Euler's method on this problem. Can you help with that?

Last edited:
Do you know what Euler's method is? It's application here should be straightforward.

Related to Newton's Law of Cooling differential equation

1. What is Newton's Law of Cooling differential equation?

Newton's Law of Cooling is a mathematical equation that describes the rate at which an object cools down or heats up when it is in contact with a medium that has a different temperature.

2. How is Newton's Law of Cooling differential equation used in science?

This equation is used in many scientific fields, such as physics, chemistry, and engineering, to model the temperature change of objects in various environments. It is also used to estimate the time it takes for an object to reach a certain temperature.

3. What are the variables in Newton's Law of Cooling differential equation?

The variables in this equation are the initial temperature of the object (T0), the ambient temperature (T∞), the time (t), and the cooling constant (k). These variables are used to calculate the temperature of the object at any given time.

4. How does Newton's Law of Cooling differential equation relate to the Second Law of Thermodynamics?

Newton's Law of Cooling is a direct consequence of the Second Law of Thermodynamics, which states that heat always flows from a hotter object to a colder object until they reach thermal equilibrium. This law explains the direction of heat transfer in Newton's equation, from the warmer object to the cooler environment.

5. What are the limitations of Newton's Law of Cooling differential equation?

This equation assumes that the cooling constant (k) remains constant, which may not always be the case in real-world situations. It also assumes that the object is in a closed system with a constant ambient temperature. Additionally, this equation does not take into account other factors that may affect the cooling process, such as humidity and air flow.