Newton's 3 Laws Lab: Solving Problems on Inclined Plane

• Thread starter Kandycat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lab Laws
In summary, the conversation revolves around a lab report on sliding a mass down an inclined plane. The individual has collected data and calculated the acceleration of the mass when it falls at a 90 degree angle to be 16.9 m/s2, which differs from the expected value of 9.8 m/s2. They are also struggling with finding the net force on the mass and determining which acceleration value to use in Newton's 2nd Law equation. They request for the measurement data and equations used to obtain the acceleration value of 16.9 m/s2.
Kandycat
I am doing a lab report for a lab I did in class. The lab is about sliding a mass (in this case a book) down an inclined plane. I collected the data and calculated the acceleration for the mass if it fall at 90 degrees. I have to do an analysis but I having some trouble answering these questions.

1. When I found the acceleration for the mass when it slides down at a 90 degree angle to be 16.9 m/s2. The acceleration of gravity of is 9.8 m/s2. So why isn't this the value of 9.8 m/s2? Is it because 16.9 m/s2 is the weight?

2. How do I find net force on a mass on an inclined plane? I'm pretty sure I have to use Newton's 2nd Law equation: F = ma. But do I use 9.8 m/s2 or 16.9 m/s2 for a?

Physics news on Phys.org
Clearly the acceleration can't be 16.9m/s^2. Could you please post your measurement data and the equations used to obtain this value? They must contain an error somewhere.

Hello! It's great to hear that you are conducting a lab on Newton's 3 Laws, specifically focusing on solving problems on an inclined plane. In response to your questions:

1. The acceleration you calculated of 16.9 m/s2 is not the acceleration of gravity (9.8 m/s2) because it is the acceleration of the mass down the inclined plane, not the acceleration due to gravity. The acceleration due to gravity is a constant value for all objects near the Earth's surface, regardless of their shape or orientation. In this case, the inclined plane is acting as a ramp, allowing the book to slide down at a faster rate than if it were dropped straight down. This results in a higher acceleration value.

2. To find the net force on a mass on an inclined plane, you will indeed use Newton's 2nd Law equation, F=ma. The key is to use the acceleration value that you calculated for the mass sliding down the plane (16.9 m/s2) as the acceleration (a) in the equation. This is because the acceleration of the mass down the plane is due to the net force acting on it, which includes the force of gravity (9.8 m/s2) and any other forces acting on the mass, such as friction. So, in summary, use the acceleration value you calculated for the mass down the plane, and not the acceleration due to gravity, in the F=ma equation.

I hope this helps to clarify your questions. Keep up the good work in your lab experiments and always make sure to carefully analyze your data and ask questions to deepen your understanding of the concepts.

Related to Newton's 3 Laws Lab: Solving Problems on Inclined Plane

1. What is the purpose of the Newton's 3 Laws Lab: Solving Problems on Inclined Plane?

The purpose of this lab is to apply Newton's three laws of motion to a real-life scenario, specifically by solving problems related to objects on an inclined plane. This will help students better understand and visualize these laws in action.

2. What materials are needed for this lab?

The materials needed for this lab include an inclined plane, a wooden block, a set of weights, a protractor, a ruler, and a timer. These materials will be used to set up the experiment and collect data for analysis.

3. How do you calculate the forces and acceleration on an object on an inclined plane?

To calculate the forces and acceleration on an object on an inclined plane, you will need to use trigonometry and Newton's second law of motion. The weight of the object can be broken down into its components along and perpendicular to the inclined plane, and the forces acting on the object can be determined using this information.

4. What are some common sources of error in this lab?

Some common sources of error in this lab include friction between the inclined plane and the object, inaccuracies in measuring the angle of the incline, and human error in timing the object's motion. It is important to take multiple measurements and average them to reduce the impact of these errors.

5. How can the results of this lab be applied to real-world situations?

The concepts and calculations used in this lab can be applied to real-world situations, such as determining the forces and acceleration on a car driving up a hill or a plane taking off from a runway. Understanding Newton's laws of motion can also help in designing and improving various technologies and machines.