Newtonian fluid mechanics: Navier-Stokes equation

In summary, the student is still confused about what a material derivative is and how to determine if it is present in an equation.
Feodalherren

Homework Statement

woot.png

Homework Equations

Navier-Stokes

The Attempt at a Solution

Not really trying to solve a problem, trying to understand what is going on in my textbook. So look at the stuff in red first. I see where all that is coming from, it's clear to me. However, the stuff in green indicates that in the example case the right side of the equation should be zero, instead they throw in the stuff in blue out of the blue. What exactly happened here that they totally missed to explain?!

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with the material derivative, d/dt? It is defined as:
$$\frac{d}{dt}=\frac{\partial}{\partial t}+u\frac{\partial}{\partial x}+v\frac{\partial}{\partial y}+w\frac{\partial}{\partial z}$$
The material derivative of u is equal to the x-component of the fluid acceleration.
$$\frac{du}{dt}=a_x=\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}+u\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}+v\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}+w\frac{\partial u}{\partial z}$$

Chet

Likes Feodalherren
Okay yeah I remember that from class. Thanks.

I'm still slightly confused though. How am I supposed to know if it's a material derivative of just a regular derivative? What exactly makes it a material derivative? If I take the expression "at face value" then u does NOT depend on t and it equal zero.
Thanks again!

Feodalherren said:
Okay yeah I remember that from class. Thanks.

I'm still slightly confused though. How am I supposed to know if it's a material derivative of just a regular derivative? What exactly makes it a material derivative? If I take the expression "at face value" then u does NOT depend on t and it equal zero.
Thanks again!
It's all a matter of the terminology your textbook or professor uses. Some fluids textbooks use d/dt and others use D/Dt. Of course, if you are familiar with the NS equations, you know to look for that.

Chet

Likes Feodalherren

Related to Newtonian fluid mechanics: Navier-Stokes equation

1. What is the Navier-Stokes equation?

The Navier-Stokes equation is a set of mathematical equations that describe the motion of a Newtonian fluid, such as water or air. It takes into account the fluid's velocity, pressure, density, and viscosity, and is used to calculate the forces acting on the fluid.

2. Who developed the Navier-Stokes equation?

The Navier-Stokes equation was developed independently by French mathematician Claude-Louis Navier and Irish mathematician George Gabriel Stokes in the 19th century. It is named after them in recognition of their contributions to fluid mechanics.

3. What are the assumptions made in the Navier-Stokes equation?

The Navier-Stokes equation assumes that the fluid is Newtonian, meaning it follows Newton's laws of motion. It also assumes that the fluid is incompressible, meaning its density does not change with changes in pressure. Additionally, it assumes that the fluid is continuous and has no internal boundaries or discontinuities.

4. How is the Navier-Stokes equation used in real-world applications?

The Navier-Stokes equation is used to model and predict the behavior of fluids in a variety of real-world applications, such as air and water flow in pipes, aerodynamics of airplanes, and weather forecasting. It is also used in the design of engines, pumps, and turbines.

5. Are there any limitations to the Navier-Stokes equation?

Yes, there are some limitations to the Navier-Stokes equation. It is only applicable to Newtonian fluids and cannot accurately describe the behavior of non-Newtonian fluids, such as blood or ketchup. It also assumes that the fluid is incompressible, which may not always be the case. Additionally, it is a highly complex set of equations and can be difficult to solve for certain scenarios.