Newton Applications. Help solving equation with sin and cos.

In summary, the 18kg suitcase moves with a constant speed and the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.38. The normal force is 68.763N and the tension on the strap is unknown.
rokas

Homework Statement

At an airport, you pull a 18-kg suitcase across the floor with a strap that is at 45 degrees above the horizontal. Find the normal force and the tension on the strap, given that the suitcase moves with a constant speed and the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.38.

[tex]\mu[/tex]k = 0.38
m = 18kg
[tex]\sum[/tex]F = 0 (because speed is constant)
angle = 45
N = ?
T = ?

Homework Equations

Fcos([tex]\theta[/tex]) - Ff = 0
Ff = mg - Fsin([tex]\theta[/tex])([tex]\mu[/tex]k)

The Attempt at a Solution

Fcos([tex]\theta[/tex]) - [mg - Fsin([tex]\theta[/tex])([tex]\mu[/tex]k)]
Fcos(42) - [(18)(9.81) - Fsin(42)](0.38) = 0

I'm trying to solve for F but I don't know how to get rid of, solve equations with cos and sin.
Help is appreciated!

Attachments

• Sketch of the problem.bmp
    231.1 KB · Views: 761
Physics news on Phys.org
you just need to evaulate cos(42) and sin(42) using your calculator. Be very careful with roundoff error (don't round too much too soon), and make sure your calculator is in degrees mode (if the problem is stated in degrees.. most intro physics problems are though)

so Fcos(45) turns to .707107F?

Yeah, but [tex] \cos(45^\circ) = \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2} [/tex], so maybe you can leave it like that until the very end, then you can approximate with decimals. It'll save you the hassle of round-off error. To be honest, it won't make much difference in this case, especially since it looks like you're rounding out to 6 places anyway, but it's not a bad idea in general.

but the short answer is yes.

I solved the equation,

F = 68.763N
then i found normal force
N = 127.957N

I have to find the tension on the strap, but i don't completely understand how to do that. Could someone explain the concept or how to find it?

The question I have is should I add Force and Force of Friction since you have to overcome Force of Friction?
But Force is on an angle, so does that mean i have to find Fx and then add them, and then combine Fx and Fy?

The horizontal component of force must be equal to the friction force so that there is no acceleration or deceleration.

Okay, so how do I find tension on the strap?

rokas said:
Okay, so how do I find tension on the strap?
Set up two equations, one for vertical forces and one for horizontal force. You'll have two equations and two unknowns (Normal force and Tension)--which works out just right.

I already know the normal force.
I was trying to figure it out by myself and thought if i did this:
Ty = 68.763sin(45)
Tx = 68.763cos(45) + (127.957) (0.38)
solve and combine x and y components to have the tension? not sure...at all.

rokas said:
I was trying to figure it out by myself and thought if i did this:
Ty = 68.763sin(45)
Looks to me like you already know the tension, if you're able to find it's y component. This equation says Ty = T sin(45) = 68.76 sin(45)

The 68.783n is not the tension, its the force of the pull. Or is it the same thing?
If it is the same thing, i have to add the force of friction to the x component of force since that's working against the movement?

rokas said:
The 68.783n is not the tension, its the force of the pull. Or is it the same thing?
The force with which the strap is pulled is the tension.
If it is the same thing, i have to add the force of friction to the x component of force since that's working against the movement?
The sum of the forces in the x-direction will equal zero, if that's what you mean.

Okay, thanks Doc Al!
Sorry, my teacher is pretty confusing sometimes.

Related to Newton Applications. Help solving equation with sin and cos.

1. What is the Newton method for solving equations with trigonometric functions?

The Newton method, also known as the Newton-Raphson method, is an iterative method used to approximate solutions to equations. It involves using the derivative of the equation to find the tangent line at a given point, and then using the x-intercept of the tangent line as a new approximation for the solution. This process is repeated until a desired level of accuracy is achieved.

2. How do you use the Newton method to solve equations with sin and cos?

To use the Newton method for solving equations with sin and cos, you first need to rearrange the equation so that one side is equal to zero. Then, you can use the formula xn+1 = xn - f(xn)/f'(xn), where xn is the current approximation, f(xn) is the function evaluated at xn, and f'(xn) is the derivative of the function evaluated at xn. This process is repeated until the desired level of accuracy is achieved.

3. What are the advantages of using the Newton method for solving trigonometric equations?

The Newton method has several advantages for solving trigonometric equations. It is a relatively fast method that can converge to a solution within a few iterations. It is also relatively simple to implement, as it only requires knowledge of basic calculus and algebra. Additionally, the Newton method can handle a wide range of equations, including those with multiple solutions or complex solutions.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Newton method for solving equations with sin and cos?

While the Newton method can be an efficient and effective method for solving trigonometric equations, it does have some limitations. One limitation is that it may not always converge to a solution, especially if the initial guess is not close enough to the actual solution. Additionally, the method may fail if the equation has multiple solutions that are close together, or if the function has a very steep or undefined derivative at certain points. It is important to carefully choose the initial guess and check the convergence of the method when using it to solve equations with sin and cos.

5. Are there any alternative methods for solving equations with trigonometric functions?

Yes, there are several alternative methods for solving equations with trigonometric functions. These include the bisection method, secant method, and fixed-point iteration method. These methods may have different convergence rates or requirements for the initial guess, so it is important to consider the specific equation and choose the most appropriate method for solving it.