New to Nonlinear Diff. Equations? Ask Here!

In summary, this book is for you to explore how you understand calculus, differential calculus, and ordinary differential equation.
knockout_artist
(Sorry for the mistakes first thread using hand held device)

Hello,
I was working on Harold T. Davis
Introduction to Nonlinear Differential and Integral Equations

I saw this following equations

1488145838385.jpeg

1-So equation 4 came as a result of chain rule applies on equation. 3 ?

2- how did equation 5 come about? And specially the "2" in second term.

3-What kind of calculus I should study, so I know this sort of stuff and I can save some time.

Thank you.

Attachments

• 1488046518574.jpeg
    1488046518574.jpeg
    35.3 KB · Views: 428
Physics news on Phys.org
The point of this sort of book is for you to explore how you understand calculus

... you can answer this for yourself: what happens when you apply the chain rule to eq3?

... have you tried just differentiating eq4 wrt x? What happens when you do?

3-What kind of calculus I should study, so I know this sort of stuff and I can save some time.
... differential calculus. "Differential equations" is the usually subject heading from 2nd year college.

Likes knockout_artist
Simon Bridge said:
The point of this sort of book is for you to explore how you understand calculus

... you can answer this for yourself: what happens when you apply the chain rule to eq3?

... have you tried just differentiating eq4 wrt x? What happens when you do?

... differential calculus. "Differential equations" is the usually subject heading from 2nd year college.
3.with product rule I get

1488162433561.jpeg

do I need to take Y' as well and add it?

I do not know what you are trying to show... the "3" could refer to my point 3, which has nothing to do with the product rule... or it could refer to eq3, which does not get to your pic using the product rule.

I actually tried to differentiating eq4 wrt x. I got this(from your point 2). Sorry about the confusion.
1488162433561-jpeg.113811.jpg
(about your point 3)
I learned ODE/PDE from Keryzsig's "advance engineering mathematics".
How ever I also have Tenenbaum/Pollard's "ordinary differential equation", which does not have such topic covered.

knockout_artist said:
I actually tried to differentiating eq4 wrt x. I got this(from your point 2). Sorry about the confusion.
(about your point 3)
I learned ODE/PDE from Keryzsig's "advance engineering mathematics".
How ever I also have Tenenbaum/Pollard's "ordinary differential equation", which does not have such topic covered.

One thing you are missing (and the book is treating implicitly) is that ##\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}## and ##\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}## are functions of two variables.

Now I get this

1488219993020.jpeg

even if I add them I don't get equation 5.

That looks close. Aren't you just missing that last term in ##y_{xx}##?

Just on my phone so hard to see exactly what you are missing!

Here's a breakdown in shorthand notation, starting with:

##(f_x) + (f_y)( y_x)##

And differentiating with respect to ##x## gives:

##(f_{xx} + f_{xy} y_x) + (f_{yx} + f_{yy} y_x)(y_x) + (f_y)(y_{xx}) = f_{xx} + 2f_{xy} y_x + f_{yy} (y_x)^2 + f_y y_{xx}##

Thank you, for the reply.
On LHS term in the middle seems like differentiated wrt to y, rather then x.

knockout_artist said:
Thank you, for the reply.
On LHS term in the middle seems like differentiated wrt to y, rather then x.

Which term? Remember that ##f_x## and ##f_y## are functions of two variables, so the chain rule applies to them as it does to ##f## in the first place.

PeroK said:
Which term? Remember that ##f_x## and ##f_y## are functions of two variables, so the chain rule applies to them as it does to ##f## in the first place.
I see that.
Thank you very much for your help.

Related to New to Nonlinear Diff. Equations? Ask Here!

1. What are nonlinear differential equations?

Nonlinear differential equations are mathematical equations that involve derivatives of a dependent variable with respect to an independent variable, and the dependent variable is raised to a power or multiplied by itself. This results in a non-linear relationship between the dependent and independent variables.

2. How are nonlinear differential equations different from linear differential equations?

Linear differential equations have derivatives of the dependent variable that are only raised to the first power and are not multiplied by the dependent variable itself. This results in a linear relationship between the dependent and independent variables, making the equations easier to solve.

3. What are some real-world applications of nonlinear differential equations?

Nonlinear differential equations are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, biology, and economics to model complex systems and phenomena. Some examples include population growth, chemical reactions, weather forecasting, and electrical circuits.

4. How do you solve nonlinear differential equations?

Solving nonlinear differential equations can be challenging and often requires advanced mathematical techniques such as approximation methods, numerical methods, and computer simulations. In some cases, exact solutions can be found using special techniques such as separation of variables and substitution.

5. Why are nonlinear differential equations important?

Nonlinear differential equations are important because they allow us to model and understand complex systems and phenomena that cannot be described using linear equations. They are also used in many applications, from engineering and physics to biology and economics, making them essential for scientific research and technological advancements.