New Job Opportunities Forum Idea - Physics Forums

• Thread starter Clausius2
  • Start date
In summary, the Physics Forums website has proposed a new forum idea for discussing job opportunities in the field of physics. This forum would allow users to share job listings, career advice, and networking opportunities for those interested in pursuing a career in physics. The goal is to create a centralized platform for job seekers and employers to connect and exchange information, ultimately helping to advance the field of physics and support its community of professionals. This forum idea has received positive feedback and is expected to be a valuable resource for those seeking employment in the physics industry.
Clausius2
Science Advisor
Gold Member
When I saw this:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=46410

I came up with an idea: why do not start a new forum here: job opportunities?

Here seems to be senior employees and employers, so maybe they want to offer something.

I don't propose it thinking of me. I'm a bit far...

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure if I agree or disagree with the idea, though IF such a thing were implemented, it would have to be something where threads were automatically locked so you don't need to have moderators monitoring discussions of job ads, for whatever people might choose to discuss about them. It should also have an expiration date of some sort on posts, so that if applications are only being accepted for the next month, then after a month, the announcement would automatically disappear...no point in it lingering around.

This site could certainly provide a broader applicant pool for entry level positions, but I'm not sure how many people are potential employers here.

Marlon was searching for a scientific job...

How about a forum for discussing career choices and paths.

If employers were to post job ads here, I'd say that they should have to pay for the space. That would make more certain that the ads would be removed when filled, and we might even be able to stop putting those annoying Google ads at the top of the site.

Well Tom, I really think you don't want me to share with you that economic profits :cry: :biggrin: , therefore after reading your answers I have to say Monique's idea is not too bad. There have been a lot of people here asking about careers and studies in this forum.

I like Monique's idea too. A forum about career choices and paths is an excellent idea. I doubt you'd get enough traffic for job postings to eliminate the ads, and am not sure you'd convince people to advertise here if there were a fee for it. There are plenty of places to advertise for free that reach a more targeted audience (i.e., through scientific societies). But career options is something worthy of discussion. That was something I would have appreciated when I was still a student trying to decide what to do "when I grow up." When trying to decide between academics and industry, I was surrounded by people in academics who knew nothing of industry, or those I contacted in industry knew nothing of academics. I was lucky to finally find someone who had done both and could give a good explanation of the benefits and drawbacks of both directions from experience with both.

If two members found out through those discussions that someone was interested in an area in which they had an open position, the rest could be handled via PM.

Yes, we have a variety of different professionals, physicists, mathematicians, mechanical engineers, civil engineers, industrial engineers, etc... here at PF, and many high school students has made questions about some of the careers they must choose, so yes, monique's idea is quite good.

Related to New Job Opportunities Forum Idea - Physics Forums

1. What is the New Job Opportunities Forum Idea for Physics Forums?

The New Job Opportunities Forum Idea for Physics Forums is a proposed forum section on the Physics Forums website where users can post and discuss job opportunities in the field of physics. This forum would serve as a platform for individuals seeking employment in the physics industry and for employers looking to hire qualified candidates.

2. How would this forum be beneficial to me as a user?

As a user, the New Job Opportunities Forum Idea would provide you with a centralized location to browse and apply for job opportunities specifically in the field of physics. It would also allow you to network with other professionals and potential employers in the industry.

3. Who can post job opportunities on this forum?

Any registered user on Physics Forums can post job opportunities on the New Job Opportunities Forum. However, all job postings will go through a moderation process to ensure they are relevant and legitimate.

4. Will this forum only include job opportunities for physicists?

No, while the forum is focused on job opportunities in the field of physics, it may also include opportunities for related fields such as engineering, astronomy, and mathematics.

5. How can I stay updated on new job postings on this forum?

You can stay updated on new job postings by subscribing to the forum or by regularly checking the forum section for new opportunities. Additionally, you can enable email notifications for new job postings in your account settings.