Neutrino Annihilation: Validity of Interaction and Lepton Number Conservation

In summary, the process described involves the interaction of two neutrinos, a muon and a positron, and is mediated by a W+ boson. Charge transfer does not occur between the initial and final states, and the weak interaction is responsible for this process.
jazznaz

Homework Statement

Is the following process a valid interaction?

[tex]\nu_\mu \bar{\nu}_e \rightarrow e^+ \mu[/tex]

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure whether lepton number must be conserved at each vertex, or just for the overall process. I can draw a Feynman diagram with a Z0 boson as the exchange particle, but I'm not convinced that this is correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it is, but it's not mediated by the Z boson.

In that case, it must be a photon?

No. If the process involves neutrinos, it's a weak interaction.

I think I'm being distracted by thinking that there's no transfer of charge between the initial and final states.

Had another go, and now have a diagram that looks like a scattering process with the exchange of a W+ boson.

Sounds right!

Thanks!

Related to Neutrino Annihilation: Validity of Interaction and Lepton Number Conservation

1. What is neutrino annihilation?

Neutrino annihilation is a process in which two neutrinos collide and are converted into other particles, such as electrons or photons.

2. How does neutrino annihilation occur?

Neutrino annihilation can occur when two neutrinos with opposite charges collide, resulting in the production of other particles and antiparticles.

3. What is the significance of neutrino annihilation in astrophysics?

Neutrino annihilation plays a crucial role in understanding the processes that occur in the interiors of stars and supernovae. It also helps us study the properties of neutrinos, which are important particles in the universe.

4. Can neutrino annihilation be observed?

Neutrino annihilation is a rare event and is difficult to observe directly. However, its effects can be detected through various indirect methods, such as analyzing the particles produced in the process.

5. Is neutrino annihilation harmful to humans?

No, neutrino annihilation does not pose any harm to humans. Neutrinos are highly elusive particles that can easily pass through matter without interacting with it, making them harmless to living organisms.