Network Problem: Connecting Win XP Machines Without Hub

• Thread starter Omid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Network
In summary, the person is having trouble connecting two computers without a hub in a network. They have checked the cable and made sure the diagnostic lights on both NICs are on, but they are still not able to see each other or ping each other. They have also tried running Windows ME on both computers with the same result. The person is questioning if they need to use a crossover or straight through cable and if the color of the wires makes a difference. They are advised to use a crossover cable and to check if they counted the pins correctly. They are also suggested to disable the firewall and make sure the IP addresses are set properly.
Omid
I have connected two machins, both runnig Win XP, without a Hub.
The problem is that they don't see each other.
Please consider that :
1. The cable is UTP
2. The arrange of wires is :
1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8
3-6-1-4-5-2-7-8
3. Diagnostic lights on both NICs are on.
4. As the indicator in windows shows, both of them send data but don't recive.
5. Ping each of them returns this "requet timed out".
6. It is the first time I'm trying to build a network .
Any suggestion, comment, advice will be appreciated.
Thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
Do you have their IP address set properly? It might be a software, not hardware issue.

Also, when you unplug the cable, does Windows report a network cable being unplugged?

- Warren

You probably need to enable file and print sharing, if you haven't done so already, and add the file and print sharing service to the network properties.

In the control panel you should have an icon called network--click it. You should have a popup in fromt of you. This popup should have a file and print sharing button. Click it. Another popup will appear with two checkboxes. Select what you want to share and select OK. Back on the original network propoerties box there should be an add button--click it. A popup will appear with a few options. Find the one that says services and double click it. A new popup with with a few options will appear. One of these options will be file and print sharing--click it. Now that window should close. Click the add button on the right of the popup box still open. This should take you back to the original network properties box. You've added the service and allowed it.

Next check/change you IP addresses. Say you set computer 1 to 10.20.1.1 and computer 10.20.1.2... Prior to doing the above, if you ping one computer form the other you should get a response. After you've done the above and configured the IP's to your liking both computers should appear in your network group.

The above has been culled from 1+ old knowledge so it may not be 100% accurate. The gist is you need to allow the service and add the driver for it to your network properties on both machines.

chroot said:
Do you have their IP address set properly? It might be a software, not hardware issue.

Also, when you unplug the cable, does Windows report a network cable being unplugged?

- Warren

Yes both IP addresses are set properly:
192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2
Yes, when I unplug the cable, Windows report a network cable being unplugged.

Omid said:
2. The arrange of wires is :
1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8
3-6-1-4-5-2-7-8

Does anyone see anything wrong with the order of wires in the sockets ?

Can you ping one computer from the other?

faust9 said:
Can you ping one computer from the other?

NO I can't

robphy said:
It looks like a crossover cable
http://www.makeitsimple.com/how-to/dyi_crossover.htm

I'm not familiar with XP's firewall... have you tried connecting with the firewall disabled?

You know I ran Win ME on both computers and the result was the same, so I think it's not a software problem.
But about cables,
1. which type I must use when there is no Hub ? Crossover or straight through ?
2. ِِDoes the color of wires matter ? I mean is there any difference between the colors, say blue and orange ?
Thanks alot

You must use a crossover cable when there is no hub.

The color of the wires is not important, but they are normally standard.

Are you sure you counted the pins from the correct side of the connector?

- Warren

chroot said:
You must use a crossover cable when there is no hub.

The color of the wires is not important, but they are normally standard.

Are you sure you counted the pins from the correct side of the connector?
- Warren
I will check the pins again, but I'm worry about colors because in the link robphy gave me; for cartain pins is introduced cartain colors. Do you suggest to change the arrange of colors according to the table in the website ?

Thanks

Related to Network Problem: Connecting Win XP Machines Without Hub

1. How do I connect multiple Windows XP machines without a hub?

There are a few different ways to connect Windows XP machines without a hub. One option is to use an ethernet crossover cable, which allows for direct communication between two devices. Another option is to use a wireless connection, such as a Wi-Fi network or Bluetooth.

2. Can I use a router instead of a hub to connect my Windows XP machines?

Yes, you can use a router to connect multiple Windows XP machines. Routers act as a central hub for network communication and can support multiple devices connected to it. Keep in mind that routers also have additional features, such as network security and internet access, which may or may not be necessary for your setup.

3. Do I need any special software to connect my Windows XP machines without a hub?

No, you do not need any special software to connect Windows XP machines without a hub. The built-in networking capabilities of Windows XP should be sufficient to set up a basic network. However, if you want to add more advanced features, you may need to install additional software or drivers.

4. How do I configure the network settings on my Windows XP machines for this type of connection?

The specific steps for configuring network settings will depend on the type of connection you are using (e.g. ethernet crossover cable, wireless network). Generally, you will need to go to the Network Connections settings in the Control Panel and set up a new connection or modify existing settings. It may also be helpful to consult the documentation for your specific network hardware.

5. Are there any limitations to connecting Windows XP machines without a hub?

One limitation to be aware of is that without a hub, you may not be able to connect more than a few devices to your network. Additionally, depending on the type of connection you are using, you may experience slower speeds compared to a traditional network setup with a hub. It is also important to ensure that all devices on the network are using compatible network protocols.