Net Force on a 1kg ball Rolling on a Banked Track

In summary, the net force on the ball is -10.43N in the x direction, and to complete the turn with a radius of 10m and at an angle of 20 degrees, the ball would need to be going at a speed of (10*9.8*tan(20))^(1/2) meters per second.
bww
A 1kg ball rolls along a circular track that is banked at 20 degrees. The normal force on the ball is 10.43N, tilted inward. The radius of the track is 10m.

a. What is the net force on the ball (include direction)?
b. How fast is the ball going for it to complete the turn?

possible equations= radial acceleration=v^2/r, total radial force mv^2/r,

and as for where i am, i don't really know where to start! to find the net force, i know i start with the 10.43N acting on it. I don't know if the 20 degrees comes into play at all or not. any help is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
What I would recommend you do first is draw a free-body diagram and label all the forces.

yeah that was part of the question, i already did that part. i think I've got it right, but where to now?

Are you told to ignore friction? Are you given a coefficient of friction?

There is no friction, it is being ignored.

Okay, when I set up my free body diagram and chose my coordinate system, I got

x: F= -F[N]sin(20)=(-mv^2)/r

y: F= F[N]cos(20) - mg = 0

So, there is no net force in the y direction, it is all in the x direction.

mgtan(20)=(mv^2)/r

v=(rgtan(20))^(1/2)

Related to Net Force on a 1kg ball Rolling on a Banked Track

1. What is the net force on a 1kg ball rolling on a banked track?

The net force on a 1kg ball rolling on a banked track is the sum of all external forces acting on the ball. This includes the force of gravity, normal force from the track, and any other external forces such as friction.

2. How does the angle of the banked track affect the net force?

The angle of the banked track affects the net force by changing the direction of the normal force. As the angle increases, the normal force will act more perpendicular to the track and less parallel. This can affect the net force and the resulting motion of the ball.

3. Is the net force always directed towards the center of the banked track?

No, the net force is not always directed towards the center of the banked track. The net force depends on the angle of the banked track and the direction of the ball's velocity. If the angle is steep enough and the ball is moving fast enough, the net force may be directed away from the center of the track.

4. How does the speed of the ball affect the net force on a banked track?

The speed of the ball does not affect the net force on a banked track, but it does affect the direction of the net force. As the speed increases, the normal force will act at a more perpendicular angle to the track, potentially changing the direction of the net force and resulting in a different motion for the ball.

5. What other factors can affect the net force on a 1kg ball rolling on a banked track?

Other factors that can affect the net force on a 1kg ball rolling on a banked track include the mass of the ball, the surface of the track, and any external forces such as air resistance. These factors can impact the normal force and the resulting net force acting on the ball.