Net External Force - Magnitude & Direction

In summary, the net external force on the crate has a magnitude of 330N and a direction of 96 degrees in the second quadrant. This was determined by using the inverse tangent function and adjusting for the quadrant in which the force vector resides.
ughschool
1. A crate is pulled to the right with a force of 82 N, to the left with a force of 115N, upward qith a force of 565N and downward with a force of 236N.

2. what is the magnitude and direction of the net external force

3. i solved for magnitude(330N) but I am not sure how to solve for direction cus i did tan^-1(329/33) and got 84° and i should be getting 96°...?

Physics news on Phys.org
"i solved for magnitude(330N) but I am not sure how to solve for direction cus i did tan^-1(329/33) and got 84° and i should be getting 96°...?"
----
On which side of the y-axis does the force vector reside?
In the first quadrant, or in the second?

its on the negative y aXIS i think

oh wait no sorry its in the second quadrant!

ughschool said:
oh wait no sorry its in the second quadrant!

That's right!
So:
Since your ordinary inverse tangent function gives values between -90 degrees and +90 degrees, these lie in the first and fourth quadrant.

Furthermore:
You chose to suppress the minus sign in the x-value for the tangent value, and therefore your calculator gave you the answer 84 degrees.
You would then have to add the deviation from 90 degrees in order to get the correct value 96 degrees.

If you had kept the minus sign, you would have gotten -84 degrees as your answer; adding 180 degrees to this (remember tanget is periodic with 180 degrees as its period!), would also have given the correct answer.

Likes 1 person

Related to Net External Force - Magnitude & Direction

1. What is net external force?

Net external force is the overall force acting on an object, taking into account all the individual forces acting on that object. This can be calculated by adding up all the forces acting on an object and considering their magnitudes and directions.

2. How is the magnitude of net external force determined?

The magnitude of net external force is determined by adding up all the individual forces acting on an object. This can be done mathematically by using vector addition or graphically by drawing a vector diagram.

3. What is the significance of the direction of net external force?

The direction of net external force is important because it determines the direction of motion of an object. If the net external force is in the same direction as the object's velocity, the object will speed up. If the net external force is in the opposite direction as the object's velocity, the object will slow down.

4. How does net external force affect an object's motion?

Net external force is directly related to an object's acceleration. If the net external force on an object is zero, the object will maintain a constant velocity. If the net external force is non-zero, the object will experience acceleration in the direction of the net external force.

5. Can net external force be negative?

Yes, net external force can be negative. This indicates that the individual forces acting on an object are in opposite directions and the object will experience a net force in the negative direction. This can result in a change in the object's motion, such as slowing down or changing direction.