Net current in a semiconductor

In summary: Basically, the equation states that current is inversely proportional to voltage across a pn junction diode. So, if you have a voltage (V) higher than the diode's built-in potential barrier (Vb), then the current through the diode will be negative. However, if you have a voltage (V) lower than Vb, then the current through the diode will be positive.
sahil_time
We know that the built in potential barrier Vb does not allow any net current in a semiconductor. Now when we connect a battery in forward biased with the voltage V the current begins to flow even if V<Vb. Agreed. But my text says that V cannot exceed Vb is this true? for reference
http://books.google.co.in/books?id=...&resnum=6&ved=0CD0Q6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

Physics news on Phys.org

I don't know much about this subject, but if that's what your textbook says then I'd say it is probably true.

The text didn't provide a reason. But i was thinking that if V>Vb there will be no barrier hence the current will be too large and that might damage the device. Can this be the reason?

Last edited by a moderator:

sahil_time said:
The text dint provide a reason. But i was thinking that if V>Vb there will be no barrier hence the current will be too large and that might damage the device. Can this be the reason?

No idea. Anyone else know?

sounds like its talking about diodes and pn junctions.

you do understand that there is forward and reverse bias?

yeah.yeah. so what do you propose?

Last edited by a moderator:

sahil_time said:
We know that the built in potential barrier Vb does not allow any net current in a semiconductor. Now when we connect a battery in forward biased with the voltage V the current begins to flow even if V<Vb. Agreed. But my text says that V cannot exceed Vb is this true? for reference
http://books.google.co.in/books?id=...&resnum=6&ved=0CD0Q6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

sahil_time said:
yeah.yeah. so what do you propose?

Are you familiar with the Diode Equation? What is the relationship between current and voltage for a pn junction diode?

If you're not familiar with the equation yet, check wikipedia.com

Related to Net current in a semiconductor

1. What is net current in a semiconductor?

Net current in a semiconductor refers to the overall flow of electric charge through the material. This includes both the flow of electrons (negative charge) and holes (positive charge).

2. How is net current different from drift current?

Net current takes into account both the drift current (due to the movement of charge carriers under an electric field) and the diffusion current (due to the random movement of charge carriers). It is the sum of these two currents.

3. What factors affect the net current in a semiconductor?

The net current in a semiconductor is affected by the applied electric field, the concentration of charge carriers, the mobility of the charge carriers, and the temperature of the material.

4. How is net current measured in a semiconductor?

Net current can be measured using a device called a p-n junction diode, which allows for the separation of the diffusion and drift currents. Other methods include using a four-point probe or a Hall effect sensor.

5. How does net current affect the performance of semiconductor devices?

The net current is a crucial factor in determining the functionality and efficiency of semiconductor devices. It affects the speed at which the device can operate and the amount of power it can handle. It is also used to calculate the resistance and conductance of the material.