Nested rotations in a fluid: Implications and Visualization

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of fluid rotations and their relationship to angular momentum. The speaker also brings up the idea of eddy-to-mean energy transfer and how it can be manipulated through pressure variations to increase the scale difference of rotations. The conversation also mentions the importance of vorticity in fluid dynamics and how it is often overlooked. The speaker provides a visualization of their ideas through a picture.
kmarinas86

A fluid visibly spinning clockwise doesn't necessarily have a net angular momentum. I figured that this might be the case by considering that the fluid rotations within might be counter-cyclical. It would appear that you could apply this relationship many-fold times, where a fluid consists of various scales, which vary according to rotation vs. counter-rotation.

Furthermore, if one could a imagine a closed jar of water at room temperature, the water itself could consist of many such rotations due to the thermal energy it contains. I wondered then what would happen if you spun the jar of water close to speed of sound in water, without breaking the jar. I imagined then that it might be possible to increase the scale difference of different levels of rotations, so that way macroscopic angular momentum might appear to emerge from a fluid, derived from the initially present thermal energy. I figured that such is perhaps a mechanism for eddy-to-mean energy transfer, which, if I understand, is actually a kind of energy conversion process, where energy already present in the very small can be pumped up to higher levels of scale which are accessible by conventional technology. This could involve, for example, the manipulation of the static pressure into a scale-variant dynamic pressure field, which is such that the curl of the field could alternate between left-handed and right-handed orientations with respect to the scale of rotation, or even more specifically, the scale of rotations considered in the model. This would be a rotational version of eddy-to-mean energy transfer.

http://books.google.com/books?id=2RiCKmdlXrUC&q="even in nearly irrotational flows the relatively small amount of vorticity present"
Clifford Truesdell said:
All real fluid motions are rotational. Even in nearly irrotational flows the relatively small amount of vorticity present may be of central importance in determining major flow characteristics, and even some of those whose interest in fluid dynamics is only of the practical sort are now beginning to learn that hitherto largely neglected question of vorticity must at last be faced.

To give you a sense of what I'm visualizing, I uploaded a picture below:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/ciXr2nzrVjClk0lamMp6ralLAbsoTmotbYeh_Gm8zaRfIq3GHsc3gd9vIo6rYP72JEDSt7miNPM

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
kmarinas86 said:
To give you a sense of what I'm visualizing, I uploaded a picture below:

[PLAIN]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/ciXr2nzrVjClk0lamMp6ralLAbsoTmotbYeh_Gm8zaRfIq3GHsc3gd9vIo6rYP72JEDSt7miNPM[/QUOTE]

Here is a more stable link to the picture:
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B4C1RIYfRPYtOTk4dXc2ZGJjX2M

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Nested rotations in a fluid: Implications and Visualization

1. What are nested rotations in a fluid?

Nested rotations in a fluid refers to the phenomenon where rotating objects within a fluid create smaller, concentric rotating patterns. This is commonly observed in natural systems such as hurricanes and whirlpools.

2. What are the implications of nested rotations in a fluid?

Nested rotations can have significant impacts on the behavior and dynamics of the fluid. They can influence the movement and mixing of substances within the fluid, as well as the overall flow patterns.

3. How are nested rotations in a fluid visualized?

There are several methods for visualizing nested rotations in a fluid, including using particle tracers or dye to track the movement of the fluid, and using computational models and simulations to visualize the flow patterns.

4. What are some real-world applications of studying nested rotations in a fluid?

The study of nested rotations in a fluid has practical applications in fields such as meteorology, oceanography, and fluid dynamics. By understanding how these patterns form and behave, we can better predict and manage natural phenomena like hurricanes and ocean currents.

5. How does the visualization of nested rotations in a fluid help with understanding the phenomenon?

Visualizations of nested rotations in a fluid provide a clear and tangible representation of the complex flow patterns. This allows researchers to gain a deeper understanding of the phenomenon and its behavior, and can aid in the development of more accurate models and predictions.