Nested Matrix Elements: Define \Gamma^{\dagger}?

In summary, the problem deals with nested matrices and finding the conjugate transpose of a vector of gamma matrices. While treating the vector as a 4-vector gives negative signs, the Minkowski metric does not include these signs in the conjugate transpose. To ensure the hermitian positive-definite property, we need to pick the conjugate transpose such that it follows the property of $\Gamma^\dagger \Gamma = A^\dagger A + B^\dagger B + C^\dagger C + D^\dagger D$.
topsquark
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
MHB
I posted this elsewhere and was sort of able to figure out a result myself, but 1) I didn't do it right, and 2) No one answered it anyway. I thought I'd give it a shot over here.

The problem deals with nested matrices. The gamma matrices can be found here.

My question deals with a "vector" of these gamma matrices:
Define
\(\displaystyle \Gamma = \left ( \begin{matrix} \gamma ^0 \\ \gamma ^1 \\ \gamma ^2 \\ \gamma ^3 \end{matrix} \right )\)

What is \(\displaystyle \Gamma ^{\dagger}\) ? (The dagger is the conjugate transpose.)

So far I've been able to treat \(\displaystyle \Gamma \) as a 4-vector and so we should have
\(\displaystyle \Gamma = \left ( \begin{matrix} A \\ B \\ C \\ D \end{matrix} \right )\)

\(\displaystyle \Gamma ^{\dagger} = \left ( \begin{matrix} A^* & - B^* & - C^* & - D^* \end{matrix} \right )\)

(Treating \(\displaystyle \Gamma\) as a SR 4-vector gives the negative signs.)

But: Should \(\displaystyle \Gamma ^{\dagger} = \left ( \begin{matrix} A^{\dagger} & - B^{\dagger} & - C^{\dagger} & - D^{\dagger} \end{matrix} \right )\) instead?

For the work I'm doing I don't care about the \(\displaystyle \gamma^2\) part so either method yields the same result for me. But I was wondering if there is a general rule for this sort of thing.

Thanks!

-Dan

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Dan,

The inner product of a finite dimensional space $\mathbb C^n$ has the property that:
$$\langle x, y \rangle = y^\dagger G x$$
where $G$ is the Gramian matrix, a hermitian positive-definite matrix.

In our case $G$ is the matrix of the Minkowski metric.
In particular that means that the minus signs that come from the Minkowski metric are not part of the conjugate transpose.Furthermore, we have the property that $LL^\dagger$ and $L^\dagger L$ are hermitian positive-definite.
So $\Gamma^\dagger$ must be such that we have this property.
Suppose we pick $\Gamma ^{\dagger} = \begin{bmatrix} \bar A & \bar B & \bar C& \bar D \end{bmatrix}$.
Then:
$$\Gamma^\dagger \Gamma = \begin{bmatrix} \bar A & \bar B & \bar C& \bar D \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix} A \\ B \\ C \\ D \end{bmatrix} = \bar A A + \bar B B + \bar C C + \bar D D$$
(I'm using $\bar A$ for the component wise conjugate instead of $A^*$ to avoid the ambiguity with the conjugate transpose $A^\dagger$.)
We cannot guarantee that this will be hermitian unless for instance the matrices are symmetric.
To ensure the hermitian positive-definite property, I believe we need to pick $\Gamma^\dagger$ such that:
$$\Gamma^\dagger \Gamma = \begin{bmatrix} A^\dagger & B^\dagger & C^\dagger & D^\dagger \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix} A \\ B \\ C \\ D \end{bmatrix} = A^\dagger A + B^\dagger B + C^\dagger C + D^\dagger D$$
At the very least we can be sure that this will be hermitian positive-definite.

Related to Nested Matrix Elements: Define \Gamma^{\dagger}?

1. What is a nested matrix element?

A nested matrix element is when a matrix is nested within another matrix, creating a larger matrix. This can be represented as a matrix within a matrix, or as a block matrix.

2. How do you define a nested matrix element?

A nested matrix element can be defined by representing it as a block matrix where each block is a separate matrix. The position of each block within the larger matrix determines its placement within the nested matrix element.

3. What is the purpose of defining a nested matrix element?

Defining a nested matrix element can make it easier to perform operations on the matrices within it. It can also help with organizing and visualizing complex data or equations.

4. What does the symbol \Gamma^{\dagger} represent in a nested matrix element?

The symbol \Gamma^{\dagger} represents the Hermitian conjugate of the nested matrix element. This is calculated by taking the transpose of the matrix and then taking the complex conjugate of each element.

5. How is the Hermitian conjugate of a nested matrix element used in scientific research?

The Hermitian conjugate of a nested matrix element is commonly used in quantum mechanics and other areas of physics. It is used to represent the adjoint of an operator, which is important in understanding the properties and behavior of physical systems.