Negative Ion Emission: Heat, Piezoelectric Effect & Object Differences

In summary, the conversation discusses whether more negative ions are emitted from an object due to heat or piezoelectric effect, and if certain objects give off more negative ions than others. The speaker argues that the premise of "releasing negative ions" is nonsense and that the idea of different materials emitting electrons without an external cause is a scam. They also mention the possibility of solar cells emitting negative ions and the potential health benefits of negative ions.
bbgirl
Will more negative ions emit from an object (like a "negative ion generator") due to heat or piezoelectric effect or will they emit any way?

Also, do certain objects give off more negative ions than others?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean 'piezoelectric'...? are you sure you do not mean 'photoelectric'...?

Well I do know that solar cells can do this.

I'm trying to counter the claims of some products out there that say that b/c they're made of this or that they emit negative ions. For example, can a quartz crystal just sitting there emit negative ions? Not being stressed or pulsed.

Some crystals do spontaneously polarize, causing a very small, temporary voltage difference. Some are also pyroelectric, which means that they create a voltage difference when the temperature changes. To my knowledge, they don't actually release negative ions, and if they did, they'd also be releasing positive ones. As for health benefits, there's no evidence that the tiny voltage difference against your skin will do any good, and you can get the same effect (but stronger) by licking a battery. If negative ions were released from the crystal, I'd expect that it would just rub off onto your skin, making the sweat/moisture on your skin more acidic and irritating the skin.

bbgirl said:
Well I do know that solar cells can do this.

I'm trying to counter the claims of some products out there that say that b/c they're made of this or that they emit negative ions. For example, can a quartz crystal just sitting there emit negative ions? Not being stressed or pulsed.

Solar cells do not release negative ions. They absorb light and use the energy to promote electrons to a different energy level in the material, causing a current to flow in the process. We use this current to provide electrical power. I can't think of anything that simply releases negative ions unless a very high voltage is applied or you heat it up. (Such as the filament in a CRT that emits the electrons)

In fact, this whole premise of "releasing negative ions" is nonsense.

'In fact, this whole premise of "releasing negative ions" is nonsense.
'

It is a pity you had to say something so negative !
Electrons can be ejected from surfaces quite easily. I know that 'strictly speaking' they are not 'IONS'... but they are charged particles so someone interested in this physics could see them as part of the story of ejection of 'ions'.
In my opinion it is better to include relevant physics to help an explanation than to pooh pooh it.
You really have to be prepared to explain why something is 'NONSENSE'

Emilyjoint said:
'In fact, this whole premise of "releasing negative ions" is nonsense.
'

It is a pity you had to say something so negative !
Electrons can be ejected from surfaces quite easily. I know that 'strictly speaking' they are not 'IONS'... but they are charged particles so someone interested in this physics could see them as part of the story of ejection of 'ions'.
In my opinion it is better to include relevant physics to help an explanation than to pooh pooh it.
You really have to be prepared to explain why something is 'NONSENSE'

I'm pretty sure the products the OP is talking about are scam, as the OP was asking about quartz crystals just sitting there without anything happening to them. The idea that different materials emit electrons without an external cause and not being radioactive is nonsense.

OK...I did not latch onto the crystals slant.
At first read I thought it was a mix up between piezoelectric and photoelectric effects.
Live & learn !

Related to Negative Ion Emission: Heat, Piezoelectric Effect & Object Differences

1. What is negative ion emission?

Negative ion emission is the release of negatively charged particles, known as negative ions, into the air. These ions are typically produced by certain objects or natural processes and have been shown to have various health benefits.

2. How is heat related to negative ion emission?

Heat can increase the rate of negative ion emission from objects. This is because heat can cause materials to release charged particles, including negative ions, through a process called thermionic emission.

3. What is the piezoelectric effect and its role in negative ion emission?

The piezoelectric effect is the production of an electric charge in certain materials when they are put under mechanical stress. This effect can be harnessed to create negative ions, as seen in devices such as air purifiers and ionizers.

4. Are there differences in negative ion emission between different objects?

Yes, there can be differences in negative ion emission between objects. This can depend on the material and composition of the object, as well as external factors such as temperature and humidity.

5. What are some potential benefits of negative ion emission?

Negative ion emission has been linked to various health benefits, such as improved mood, reduced stress and anxiety, and better air quality. It has also been shown to potentially alleviate symptoms of allergies and respiratory conditions.