Negative Freq: Conclude Relation Between x(t) and x*(w)

In summary, x(t) represents a signal in the time domain, while x*(w) represents its complex conjugate in the frequency domain. Negative frequencies are important in signal processing and engineering, but they do not exist in physical signals. The relationship between x(t) and x*(w) is described by the Fourier transform, which is defined for both positive and negative frequencies.
Niles
Hi

Say I have a real quantity given by

[tex]
x(t) = \int_{ - \infty }^\infty {\tilde x(\omega )e^{ - i\omega t} d\omega }
[/tex]

Now I complex conjugate it (remember it is real)

[tex]
x(t) = \int_{ - \infty }^\infty {\tilde x^* (\omega )e^{ + i\omega t} d\omega }
[/tex]

How is it that I from this can conclude that we must have the relation

[tex]
{\tilde x^* (\omega )} = {\tilde x(-\omega )}
[/tex]
?

Niles.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I figured it out. Just make a substitution, and it all becomes obvious.

Related to Negative Freq: Conclude Relation Between x(t) and x*(w)

1. What does x(t) represent in this context?

In this context, x(t) represents a signal in the time domain. It is a function that maps time to amplitude, and it is often used to represent physical signals such as sound or electromagnetic waves.

2. What does x*(w) represent?

x*(w) represents the complex conjugate of x(w). In other words, it is the same signal in the frequency domain, but with the imaginary component flipped in sign. This is often used in mathematical operations involving signals in the frequency domain.

3. What is the significance of negative frequencies?

Negative frequencies are important in signal processing and engineering because they represent the opposite direction of rotation in a complex plane. They are often used in Fourier analysis to describe complex signals and are crucial in understanding the relationship between signals in the time and frequency domains.

4. How does x(t) relate to x*(w) in terms of negative frequencies?

x(t) and x*(w) are related through the Fourier transform. The Fourier transform converts a signal from the time domain to the frequency domain, and it is defined for both positive and negative frequencies. The relationship between x(t) and x*(w) is described by the formula x(t) = ∫x*(w)e^(jwt)dw, where the integral is taken over all frequencies.

5. Can negative frequencies exist in physical signals?

No, negative frequencies do not exist in physical signals. They are a mathematical concept used to simplify calculations and understanding of signals in the time and frequency domains. Physical signals only have positive frequencies, which represent the direction of rotation in a complex plane.