Negative energy in the Schrödinger equation

In summary: Yes. The solutions are:0, -\infty, \infty, \frac{2m\, E}{\hbar^2}.In summary, the potential energy at infinity can be referenced using a delta function potential. However, if you want to have negative energy with a potential that goes to zero at infinity, you need to apply a Fourier transform. The self-consistency condition for a wave function with a potential energy is that the potential energy is equal to the wave function.
aaaa202
When my book deals with bound states and scattering states it puts:

E<0 bound state, E>0 scattering state. What reference for the potential have been used for these?

Physics news on Phys.org
Potential energy at infinity.

but can you just play around with sign in front of the energy just like that? I thought you only obtained solutions if E>Vmin?

Your Vmin is also negative for scattering/bound-state problems.

I see. Makes sense. But sinse you can pick any reference for your potential what if you then picked one such that the energy switches sign. That seems to alter everything since you would then get a sinusoidal wave function instead of an exponential. What am I missing out on?

And also. It seems my book treats the problem where you have a delta function potential at the origin both with negative and positive energy. But how would it be possible to have negative energy with a potential that goes to zero at infinity?

Why don't you try it? Take a potential that you know how to solve. Replace V -> V + constant. Solve again, and see what happens to the eigen values.

Delta function potentials always bothered me too, so I'm afraid I can't help you visualize it. Just trust the math.

Problems with a delta-like potential may be solved by applying a Fourier transform.

A delta-like potential [itex]V(x) = \alpha \, \delta(x - x_0)[/itex] has a Fourier transform:
[tex]
\tilde{V}(k) = \alpha \, e^{-i k \, x_0}
[/tex]

The Schroedinger equation in momentum space is:
[tex]
\frac{\hbar^2 \, k^2}{2 \, m} a(k) + \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{dk'}{2 \pi} \, \tilde{V}(k - k') a(k') = E \, a(k)
[/tex]
where [itex]a(k) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \psi(x) e^{-i k x} \, dx[/itex] is the wave function Fourier transform. The inverse Fourier transform is:
[tex]
\psi(x) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{dk}{2 \pi} a(k) e^{i k \, x}
[/tex]

Substituting the Fourier transform of the potential in our Schrodinger equation, and using the definition of an inverse Fourier transform of the wave function, we get:
[tex]
\left(E - \frac{\hbar^2 \, k^2}{2 \, m} \right) \, a(k) = \alpha \, \psi(x_0) \, e^{-i k \, x_0}
[/tex]
Substituting this into the definition for [itex]\psi(x_0)[/itex], we get the self-consistency condition:
[tex]
\psi(x_0) = \alpha \, \psi(x_0) \, \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{dk}{2\pi} \frac{1}{E - \frac{\hbar^2 k^2}{2 \, m}}
[/tex]
If we assume that [itex]\psi(x_0) \neq 0[/itex] (otherwise [itex]a(k) \equiv 0, \forall k[/itex], which is a trivial solution), and we introduces the energy parameter [itex]\epsilon[/itex] (with a dimension [k]2):
[tex]
\epsilon \equiv \frac{2 m \, E}{\hbar^2}
[/tex]
[tex]
1 = -\frac{2 m \, \alpha}{\hbar^2} \, \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{dk}{2\pi} \frac{1}{k^2 - \epsilon}
[/tex]
This is an implicit equation for [itex]\epsilon[/itex]. Can you find its solutions?

Related to Negative energy in the Schrödinger equation

What is negative energy in the Schrödinger equation?

Negative energy in the Schrödinger equation refers to the negative values that can be obtained from the energy operator in quantum mechanics. It does not necessarily mean that the energy itself is negative, but rather that it has a negative sign in the equation. This concept is important in understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

Why is negative energy important in the Schrödinger equation?

Negative energy is important in the Schrödinger equation because it allows for the possibility of bound states, where the particle is confined to a specific region. This is in contrast to positive energy, which represents unbound states where the particle can move freely. Negative energy also plays a role in understanding the behavior of particles in potential wells and barriers.

What are some real-world applications of negative energy in the Schrödinger equation?

Negative energy has various applications in fields such as quantum mechanics, nuclear physics, and solid-state physics. It is used to explain the behavior of particles in potential wells, such as the electron orbitals in an atom. It is also used in understanding quantum tunneling, where a particle can pass through a potential barrier due to its negative energy.

Can negative energy exist in the physical world?

Negative energy can exist in the physical world, but it is often a theoretical concept used in mathematical models to explain certain phenomena. In some cases, scientists have been able to observe the effects of negative energy, such as the Casimir effect, where two uncharged plates are attracted to each other due to the presence of virtual particles with negative energy between them.

What are some controversies surrounding negative energy in the Schrödinger equation?

One controversy surrounding negative energy is its connection to the concept of antimatter. Some theories suggest that negative energy may be associated with antimatter, while others propose different explanations. There is also debate over whether negative energy can be created or destroyed, as the conservation of energy law suggests that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed.