Need to help to solve an integral from quantum conductance

In summary: Really appreciate your help!In summary, the conversation is about a person struggling with evaluating an integral while going through quantum conductance derivation. The integral involves the Fermi-Dirac distribution and the goal is to find a charge density. With the help of Data, the person is able to solve the integral and get the desired answer.
skarthikselvan
Hi All,

While going through quantum conductnace derivation, I got stuck by an integral.

I = ((e*(h/2pi))/(m*pi)) Integral from 0 to infinity

dt / ( exp (((((h/2pi)^2 * t)/(2*m)) - Ef) / kT)) + 1)

The answer is
I = (2e/h)*kT*ln(1 + exp(Ef/kT))

I am stuggling to find the answer. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
Karthikselvan

Physics news on Phys.org
skarthikselvan said:
Hi All,

While going through quantum conductnace derivation, I got stuck by an integral.

I = ((e*(h/2pi))/(m*pi)) Integral from 0 to infinity

dt / ( exp (((((h/2pi)^2 * t)/(2*m)) - Ef) / kT)) + 1)
Cannot really get what you are asking here... :frown:
Are you trying to evaluate:
[tex]\mathop{\int} \limits_{0} ^ {\infty} \frac{dt}{e ^ { \frac{ \frac{ \left( \frac{h}{2 \pi} \right) ^ 2 t}{2m} - Ef}{kT} + 1}}[/tex]?
If that's what you mean, then what does the part before it: I = ((e*(h/2pi))/(m*pi)) have to do here? Is it also an integral? Or a constant?
Or do you mean:
Are you trying to evaluate:
[tex]I = \frac{e ^ {\frac{h}{2 \pi}}}{2m} \mathop{\int} \limits_{0} ^ {\infty} \frac{dt}{e ^ {\frac{\frac{ \left( \frac{h}{2 \pi} \right) ^ 2 t}{2m} - Ef}{kT} + 1}}[/tex]?

Last edited:
I think [itex]e[/itex] is the electronic charge (hence the exp notation later on), it looks like he's trying to calculate a charge density (the integrand is the Fermi-Dirac distribution for average number of fermions in a given state).

To evaluate

[tex]\int_0^\infty \frac{1}{e^{\frac{ax-b}{c}} + 1}dx[/tex]

where a,b,c > 0, just sub

[tex]u = e^{\frac{ax-b}{c}}.[/tex]

Then [itex]\frac{c}{au}du = dx[/itex], and when [itex]x=0[/itex] you get [itex]u = e^{-b/c}[/itex], so the integral is

[tex]\int_{e^{-b/c}}^\infty \frac{c}{au(u+1)}du.[/tex]

You can split the integrand up by partial fractions:

[tex]\frac{1}{u(u+1)} = \frac{1}{u} - \frac{1}{u+1},[/tex]

and I think you should be able to finish from there (you'll need to simplify a bit after integrating to get to the form of the answer you posted above, but it's right) :smile:

Last edited:
Thanks Data. I am able to get the answer after following your suggestions.

Related to Need to help to solve an integral from quantum conductance

1. What is an integral in the context of quantum conductance?

An integral in quantum conductance refers to the mathematical calculation used to determine the amount of current flowing through a material or device. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that takes into account the wave-like behavior of particles at the quantum level.

2. Why is it important to solve an integral in quantum conductance?

Solving an integral in quantum conductance allows us to accurately predict and understand the behavior of electrons and other subatomic particles in a material or device. This information is crucial in the development of new technologies and materials for various applications, including electronics and energy generation.

3. How do you solve an integral in quantum conductance?

The process of solving an integral in quantum conductance involves using specific mathematical techniques, such as integration by parts or substitution, to manipulate the integral into a more manageable form. It also requires a strong understanding of quantum mechanics and its principles.

4. What are some challenges in solving an integral in quantum conductance?

One of the main challenges in solving an integral in quantum conductance is the complexity of the equations involved. The mathematics of quantum mechanics can be quite challenging, and it requires a deep understanding of the underlying principles to accurately solve the integral. Additionally, the behavior of particles at the quantum level can be unpredictable, making it difficult to obtain precise results.

5. How is the solution to an integral in quantum conductance used in practical applications?

The solution to an integral in quantum conductance is used to understand and optimize the behavior of materials and devices at the quantum level. This information is crucial in the development of new technologies, such as transistors and solar cells. It also helps scientists and engineers to design more efficient and reliable devices for various applications.