Need to compress air given rotary motion input

In summary: What is your rotary motion?In summary, the conversation mentions a possible solution to converting rotary motion into compressed air, including a discussion of different types of pumps.
CosmosK
Hey all. I'm looking to convert rotary motion into compressed air. I'm seeing there are hydraulic gear pumps I can buy, although I'm not sure I can use them with air. Any advice? Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
have you looked into swash plate pumps?

No, I haven't heard of those. I will check them out. Seems the hydraulic pump may just be to move fluid, not compress it.

yes sorry, i misread the original post.

perhaps a centrifugal turbine much like that used in a turbocharger would be a good option.

I'm now looking at piston style, you know choo choo train style :) Thanks for your input!

There are diaphragm and bladder pumps that can pump thick viscous fluids that when run empty produce enough air pressure to fire a tennis ball through plate glass, don't ask...lol :)):woot::DD

How about a screw type compressor or roots supercharger style compressor?

How much air are we talking about and how much pressure and temperature? how fast a is your 'rotary motion'? Those will be a MAJOR factors in choosing the right type of compressor for your application...

pressure ratios of 3:1 and high shaft speeds, go with a centrifugal compressor such as is found in turbochargers... they can even be compounded to provide higher pressure ratios.
very low speed compressors? I'd go with a diaphragm type
Medium speed? I'd go with a piston type
higher speeds, low pressure? something like a supercharger
higher speeds and pressures? screw compressors

Likes CosmosK
Lower speed most likely. Thanks for the input!

Another type of pump that is good for lower pressures (a few PSI) and mid-speed applications is the rotary vane pump.. Many of the "air injection" pumps for catalytic convertor vehicles use these.. some types the vanes are forced into contact with the (offset) housing by springs or centrifugal force, others prevent close contact (thus wear) by preventing contact but keeping close tolerances by linking the vanes to an offset support bearing.. they lose a little volumetric efficiency due to leakage past the vanes, but have less friction and long life

Related to Need to compress air given rotary motion input

1. How does the process of compressing air with rotary motion work?

The process of compressing air with rotary motion involves using a rotary engine or compressor to generate rotational force. This force is then transferred to a piston or rotor, which compresses the air in a chamber. The compressed air is then released through an outlet valve.

2. What are the advantages of using rotary motion to compress air?

Using rotary motion to compress air offers several advantages, including higher efficiency and compact size compared to traditional reciprocating compressors. It also allows for continuous compression without the need for multiple cylinders or valves.

3. What types of rotary motion can be used for air compression?

There are several types of rotary motion that can be used for air compression, including rotary screw, rotary vane, and rotary lobe compressors. Each type utilizes different mechanisms to compress the air, but all utilize rotational force.

4. How is the compressed air used after being produced through rotary motion?

The compressed air produced through rotary motion can be used for various purposes, such as powering pneumatic tools, filling tires, and operating air brakes in vehicles. It can also be used in industrial processes, such as manufacturing and packaging.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using rotary motion for air compression?

While rotary motion offers many benefits for compressing air, it also has some limitations. It may not be suitable for high pressure applications, and the cost of maintenance and repairs can be higher compared to other types of compressors. Additionally, some types of rotary compressors may produce more noise and vibration than others.