Need something better than Wiley Fundamental of Physics?

In summary, the electrical engineering student is doing well in his classes other than in his physics class. He is looking for a better written book to help him learn from the ground up and is looking for something relatively inexpensive. He thinks Kleppner might be a good choice.
TimNJ
I'm nearly done with my first semester of college as an electrical engineering student. I'm doing pretty well other than in my physics class which I am struggling. I'm maintaining around a C+ right now. While it's passing, I know I can do much better. The class is late at night and I can't understand my professor well and my textbook "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick doesn't help me all that much. It's not the worst textbook, but it seems quite abbreviated for my liking. Lots of equations but not too much explanation. It makes it very tough to learn or relearn information from lecture.

Since my final will be soon, I'm looking for a decent book (or any resource) that might be better than this book. I'm basically looking for something that can teach me things from the ground up, and not as a supplement to a lecture. I'm also looking for something relatively inexpensive.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you can choose a more simple book like "College Physics, McGRAW Hill", this book doesn't include calculus and vector in the equation. By the way, which one are you struggling with? General Physics 1 or General Physics 2 ?

This is general physics 1. Mechanics.

But we use vectors all the time. Sometimes we will need an integral or derivative to solve a problem. It's not that i find the material too difficult to comprehend. I consider myself a smart person. What our professor expects from us and what the book teaches are different things. I'm just looking for an all around better written book that can help me basically self-study.

I have been reading good things about Kleppner, for mechanics. I had a look at it and it looks like it could fit the bill for your needs. Have a look at it in a library or bookstore, since it could be a tad too much for a first course in physics (but it still is elementary mechanics).

(Woah, were did this title come from?)

Thanks! I'll give it a look!

Related to Need something better than Wiley Fundamental of Physics?

1. What is the purpose of the "Wiley Fundamental of Physics" textbook?

The "Wiley Fundamental of Physics" textbook is designed to provide a comprehensive understanding of the fundamental concepts and principles of physics. It covers a wide range of topics, including mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and relativity, and is intended for use by undergraduate students.

2. How does "Wiley Fundamental of Physics" compare to other physics textbooks?

"Wiley Fundamental of Physics" is highly regarded as one of the best introductory physics textbooks. It is known for its clear and concise explanations, numerous real-world examples, and challenging problem sets. It also includes access to online resources such as interactive simulations and practice quizzes.

3. Are there any limitations to the "Wiley Fundamental of Physics" textbook?

While "Wiley Fundamental of Physics" covers a wide range of topics, it may not go into as much depth as some other textbooks. Additionally, the level of difficulty may not be suitable for advanced students or those pursuing a career in physics. It is best used as a foundational textbook for introductory courses.

4. Is "Wiley Fundamental of Physics" suitable for self-study?

Yes, "Wiley Fundamental of Physics" can be used for self-study, but it is recommended to have a basic understanding of mathematics and physics before attempting to use it as a sole resource. The textbook is designed to be used in conjunction with lectures, and some concepts may require additional clarification from a professor or tutor.

5. Is there a newer edition of "Wiley Fundamental of Physics" available?

Yes, the most recent edition of "Wiley Fundamental of Physics" is the 11th edition, published in 2018. It is important to check with your institution or professor to see which edition they recommend or require for your course, as there may be minor differences between editions.