Need some help with basic complex variables (no proofs)

In summary, the conversation is about basic complex variables and examples of non-zero complex numbers, regions in C, subsets of C, continuous functions, entire functions, and accumulation points. The conversation also includes a discussion and clarification on the definition of accumulation points.
nocheesie
need some urgent help with basic complex variables (no proofs)

Hi:
can someone give me examples of the following? (no proofs needed)

1. a non-zero complex number z such that Arg(z^2) "not equal to" 2 Arg z
2. a region in C which is not a domain
3. a non-empty subset of C which has no accumulation points
4. a continuous function f: C -> C which is not differentiable anywhere
5. an entire function which is not a polynomial.

thanks a lot in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
nocheesie said:
1. a non-zero complex number z such that Arg(z^2) "not equal to" 2 Arg z

Arg z is defined to be the angle between -pi and pi which is equivalent to the actual argument of z. So if [tex]z=e^{i\pi}\implies z^2=e^{2i\pi}[/tex] then Arg z = arg z = pi, but arg z² = 2pi so Arg z² = 0.

nocheesie said:
2. a region in C which is not a domain

If I recall correctly a domain has to be connected, so something like [tex]\left\{z\in\mathbb{C}:|z-2|<1\right\}\cup\left\{z\in\mathbb{C}:|z+2|<1\right\}[/tex] (two discs of radius 1 centred at 2 and -2 on the real axis) would qualify.

nocheesie said:
3. a non-empty subset of C which has no accumulation points

I think an accumulation point only makes sense with respect to a sequence... Off the top of my head I can't think of a set on which no sequence could have an accumulation point, since there is always the possibility of a constant sequence. I could be wrong though...

nocheesie said:
4. a continuous function f: C -> C which is not differentiable anywhere

Technically f(z)=Re(z) qualifies, although it is only onto [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex], not [tex]\mathbb{C}[/tex]. But since [tex]\mathbb{R}\subset\mathbb{C}[/tex] it can be thought of as a function f:C->C which is just not surjective.

nocheesie said:
5. an entire function which is not a polynomial.

I'm pretty sure that [tex]e^z[/tex] is entire.

wow thank you!
i still have no idea how to do the accumulation one. i looked up the definition of accumulation point and it says:
A point z0 is said to be an accumulation point of a set S if each deleted neighborhood of z0 contains at least one point of S
i'm not sure if i understand that... any ideas?

A z is an accumulation point of S if every open disc centred on z contains some element of S. Every point of S is an accumulation point of S. S is closed if it contains all its accumulation points

matt grime said:
A z is an accumulation point of S if every open disc centred on z contains some element of S. Every point of S is an accumulation point of S. S is closed if it contains all its accumulation points

nocheesie has a different definition- the 'deleted disc' part is important or the question is false.

Equivalent definition (worth proving equivalence if you want a better handle on accumulation points): z is an accumulation point of S if and only if there is a sequence in S minus z that converges to z.

I can't think of a good hint without giving it away, think very simple sets.

So it corrects to "contains some element of S distinct from z".

so would the set of say, {1} work? i don't know if I'm understanding this correctly... if you have {1} then there would be no accumulation points right? since there's only 1 itself?

Any disc centred on 1, would not contain any of the other points of S, since there is none. And if z is any other point not equal to 1, then |z-1| is strictly positive, say it equals r. Then the disc of radius r/2 about z does not contain 1 (the only point in S) so it is not an accumulation point of S. Thus S has no accumulation points. Is that what you were thinking?

Yes! that's what i was thinking =) since there's only 1 then it can't have any points in the set other than 1, thus no accumulation points! i think I'm finally getting this... thanks everyone very very much!

Related to Need some help with basic complex variables (no proofs)

1. What are complex variables?

Complex variables are mathematical quantities that contain both real and imaginary components. They are used in many areas of science, including physics, engineering, and mathematics.

2. Why is it important to study complex variables?

Studying complex variables is important because they provide a powerful tool for solving problems in many scientific fields. They also have applications in real-world situations, such as in electrical engineering and quantum mechanics.

3. What are some basic operations that can be performed with complex variables?

Some basic operations that can be performed with complex variables include addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. These operations follow similar rules as real numbers, with some additional considerations for the imaginary components.

4. How can complex variables be represented graphically?

Complex variables can be represented graphically using the complex plane, also known as the Argand diagram. In this diagram, the real component is represented on the horizontal axis and the imaginary component on the vertical axis.

5. Are there any real-life applications of complex variables?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of complex variables. Some examples include analyzing the flow of fluids, modeling electrical circuits, and solving differential equations in physics and engineering. They also have uses in signal processing and image reconstruction.