Need Help with Understanding And Changing a Circuit Diagram

In summary: Please read ANY article on Li-ion charging. It's hard to believe you even posted here without bothering to read the most fundamental information.In summary, Dave is an electrical engineering student and does not know how to charge two batteries at once using the same charging mechanism. He found a link to an article on charging lithium ion batteries and was wondering if he could get help with understanding the circuitry. There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, as the circuitry will vary depending on the battery and the charging method being used.
BillyBobJoeseph
I am by NO means an electrical engineering student, so please explain it to me like I'm 5.
My friend sent me a circuit diagram and I don't know how it works/what it means, but basically I want to know if it's possible to charge 2 batteries at once instead of 1, using the same mechanism. If so, how would I?
Thanks!

Attachments

• I have no idea.png
    I have no idea.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 418
Engineering news on Phys.org
It's not even a complete diagram for charging 1 battery, much less 2.

What do you plan to connect as the "charging mechanism"?
What kind of batteries?
Is this a stand alone charger or do you have to charge while supplying power.

Describe a bit more about what you are actually trying to accomplish.

Well, I'm trying to learn some circuit 101 here that applies to my project.
Basically, what type of voltage regulation and circuitry would I have to incorporate to charge not only 1 battery, but two. Both would be lithium ion but of different voltages.

Charging batteries in parallel is not always a good idea and definitely not if they are different voltages. Lithium Ion are particularly fussy about the way they need to be charged. If you know as little as you claim then it could be dangerous for you to get involved. (That is not an overstatement.)
Charge one at a time or, preferably, use two different chargers which are suitable for each battery.

Likes BillyBobJoeseph and berkeman
sophiecentaur said:
Charging batteries in parallel is not always a good idea and definitely not if they are different voltages. Lithium Ion are particularly fussy about the way they need to be charged. If you know as little as you claim then it could be dangerous for you to get involved. (That is not an overstatement.)
Charge one at a time or, preferably, use two different chargers which are suitable for each battery.

I see. Couldn't I just use two separate voltage regulators so that voltage isn't a problem?

BillyBobJoeseph said:
I see. Couldn't I just use two separate voltage regulators so that voltage isn't a problem?

no,
reread Sophiecentaur's second sentence ...
Lithium Ion are particularly fussy about the way they need to be charged.

which is why I posted the link to ideas, there were many other links on google
for Li-ion, Li-PO batteries, the voltage, current and timing of the charge all need to be considered :smile:

Dave

Likes BillyBobJoeseph
BillyBobJoeseph said:
two separate voltage regulators
A "Voltage Regulator" is NOT what you need, for charging Li (or many other types of) batteries. You can easily EXPLODE an Li battery if you don't treat it nicely.
What you are discussing, constitutes a dangerous practice. If you are not careful, the mods will close this thread. :))

Likes NascentOxygen
Understood.

But don't be put off by that. There is loads to say about the different charging methods for the various battery technologies.

Likes BillyBobJoeseph
I was also wondering how multiple things could charge one battery (safely of course). Could I get some circuitry information on that too?

BillyBobJoeseph said:
I was also wondering how multiple things could charge one battery (safely of course). Could I get some circuitry information on that too?
The way to approach this would be to use the different sources (wind, pedal, solar etc.) to combine in a single source - perhaps a large master-battery. That would buffer the variables in the source from the requirements of the battery to be charged. This is, of course, what the mains supply does all the time.

sophiecentaur said:
The way to approach this would be to use the different sources (wind, pedal, solar etc.) to combine in a single source - perhaps a large master-battery. That would buffer the variables in the source from the requirements of the battery to be charged. This is, of course, what the mains supply does all the time.

What if I was using say, 3 solar panels and wanted to charge one large (lithium ion) battery? What circuitry would I need there? Each panel may gather different voltages, and I'm assuming as with before, Li-Ion are finicky so I'd need to do something different?

Are you assuming the panels are nominally the same voltage and that one may begetting more sun than the others? The characteristics of solar panels are not as straightforward as you might be assuming. This link shows a typical V/I characteristic and you can see that there is a big range of voltages as the device starts to hit its current output limit. This, I think, would imply that you could connect more than one panel in parallel (with a reverse protection diode in series with each) and they would settle down into sharing the currents according to the illuminance. This would not be the most efficient solution though. If you wanted the most out of such a system, you would need a switch mode regulator in each circuit. Certainly not a beginner's project. If the panels were cheap enough, you could point each one around the ecliptic plane and get a high voltage out at all times of day. But I think that would be an expensive solution, even though panels are dropping in price.

Google "li-ion energy harvest"
Contrary to what others say, there are lots of solutions to choose from
IC's for energy harvest:
http://www.linear.com/product/LTC4071

This article explains the technology area you are in:
http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1273070

This has pointers to reference documents:
http://www.ti.com/paramsearch/docs/parametricsearch.tsp?family=analog&familyId=3057&uiTemplateId=NODE_STRY_PGE_T

Here are some more references:
http://www.digikey.com/en/articles/...y-effectiveness-for-energy-harvesting-systems
http://www.digikey.com/en/articles/...ify-backup-power-in-energy-harvesting-designs
http://www.digikey.com/en/articles/...li-ion-battery-charging-for-energy-harvesting

One solution is to simply buy a board that charges LI-ion batteries from solar panels.
http://www.adafruit.com/products/390?gclid=CPL40bKiyMcCFYU5aQodb7wLGw (needs a 6V panel though)

Related to Need Help with Understanding And Changing a Circuit Diagram

1. What is a circuit diagram?

A circuit diagram is a graphical representation of an electrical circuit. It uses standardized symbols to show the connections and components in a circuit, making it easier to understand and analyze.

2. How do I read a circuit diagram?

To read a circuit diagram, start by identifying the power source, usually shown as a battery or power supply symbol. Then, follow the lines and symbols to trace the path of the circuit and identify the different components and their connections.

3. How can I change a circuit diagram?

To change a circuit diagram, you will need to have a good understanding of the components and their connections. You can then make changes to the circuit by adding, removing, or replacing components and adjusting their connections accordingly.

4. What tools do I need to understand and change a circuit diagram?

To understand and change a circuit diagram, you will need a basic understanding of electrical principles and the components used in circuits. You may also need a circuit simulator software to test and simulate your changes before implementing them in a physical circuit.

5. What is the importance of understanding and changing a circuit diagram?

Understanding and changing a circuit diagram is crucial in troubleshooting and designing electrical circuits. It allows you to identify and fix any issues in a circuit and also enables you to design new circuits or modify existing ones to suit your needs.