Need help with the integration of attached problem

In summary, the conversation discusses how to integrate and plot a formula as a function of time while theta is changing from 1 to 20. The problem is related to an engineering design project and the individual is considering using MATLAB to solve it. There is also a mention of using trigonometric identities and converting degrees to radians.
Shahryar
Kindly can someone tell me how can i integrate and plot the following formula as a function of time. while theta is changing from 1 to 20.
also attached .docx file for convenience. Any kind of help or advice will be highly appreciable.
integration problem.jpg

Attachments

• Integration problem.docx
    12.2 KB · Views: 185
Physics news on Phys.org
Where is the problem from? Is it for schoolwork?

berkeman said:
Where is the problem from? Is it for schoolwork?

No its in my engineering design problem. I am just stuck here. I need to plot the graph for theta as a function of time. I am not really good in calculus to be honest.
May be i can use MATLAB to solve !

Shahryar said:
No its in my engineering design problem.

What does that mean? An engineering design project for what year in university? An engineering project for work? Where do you work?

It would strike me as an obvious first step to use the facts that [itex]sin(20- \theta)= sin(20)cos(\theta)- cos(20)sin(\theta)[/itex] and [itex]cos(20- \theta)= cos(20)cos(\theta)+ sin(20)sin(\theta)[/itex].

That "20" looks strange for radian measure. If it is in degrees you should remember that [itex]\int sin(x)dx= -cos(x)+ C[/itex] and [itex]\int cos(x)= sin(x)+ C[/itex] only for x measured in radians.

HallsofIvy said:
It would strike me as an obvious first step to use the facts that [itex]sin(20- \theta)= sin(20)cos(\theta)- cos(20)sin(\theta)[/itex] and [itex]cos(20- \theta)= cos(20)cos(\theta)+ sin(20)sin(\theta)[/itex].

That "20" looks strange for radian measure. If it is in degrees you should remember that [itex]\int sin(x)dx= -cos(x)+ C[/itex] and [itex]\int cos(x)= sin(x)+ C[/itex] only for x measured in radians.

Yes that 20 is actually 20 degrees. should i convert it into radians which is 0.34906585 radians ?

Related to Need help with the integration of attached problem

1. What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical process of finding the area under a curve. It involves the reverse operation of differentiation and is used to solve problems in calculus, physics, and engineering.

2. What is the purpose of integrating?

The purpose of integrating is to find the total or accumulated value of a variable over a given interval. It is also used to solve problems involving rates of change and motion.

3. How do I approach integrating a problem?

First, identify the function to be integrated and the limits of integration. Then, use integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities to find the antiderivative of the function. Finally, evaluate the antiderivative at the limits of integration to find the final answer.

4. Is there a specific order in which I should integrate?

No, there is no specific order in which you should integrate. However, it is important to choose the appropriate integration technique based on the function being integrated and to check for any special cases or restrictions on the limits of integration.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid while integrating?

Some common mistakes to avoid while integrating include forgetting to add the constant of integration, mixing up the order of integration, and misinterpreting the limits of integration. It is also important to be careful with algebraic manipulations and to double check your work for accuracy.