Need help with some matlab code - engineering project

In summary: I changed the code to use phiRad instead and it converges perfectly now.In summary, a group working on some Matlab code is struggling with calculating values for a and aPrime using recursion. They are using an iterative method, but it is not converging as expected and they are asking for help pinpointing their error. The problem is likely in the section commented off between the *PROBLEM HERE ^* and *PROBLEM HERE v* comments, and it is suggested that their use of degrees in trig functions may be causing the issue. After making the change to use radians instead, the code now converges correctly.
DyslexicHobo
This is some Matlab code that my group has been working on. None of us really code all that much, and have only had one year of Comp Sci. It doesn't help that this is all our our first times using Matlab, either. :/

The problem is calculating a value for a and aPrime. We're trying to use recursion to calculate the correct value for them. The way it's supposed to work:

wRelative : defined in terms of a and aPrime
phi : defined in terms of a and wRelative
alpha : defined in terms of phi

a is calculated based on an equation we were given in terms of phi
aPrime is calculated based on an equation we were given in terms of phiWe want this to recursively narrow down the value of a and aPrime until the difference between recursion cycles is negligible. However, instead of the values converging, they just alternate between 2 values (values with a fairly large difference). Can someone try and pinpoint our error? Thanks. Note: The problem is somewhere in the section commented off between the big *PROBLEM HERE ^* and *PROBLEM HERE v* comments (there is two possible chunks). What I previously referred to as a and aPrime, are in the code as aBMT and aPrimeBMT.
Code:
        while(aBMT < 1)% (abs(aDif) > .1) && (abs(aPrimeDif) > .1))    Finds values for a and a' such that they are within .1% of the last recursion
            %*PROBLEM HERE v*
            wRelative = sqrt(windSpeed^2 * (1-aBMT)^2 + (w^2*r^2) * (1 + aPrimeBMT)^2);
            phiRad = asin((windSpeed * (1-aBMT))/wRelative);
            phi = phiRad * (180/pi);
            alpha = phi - beta;
            %*PROBLEM HERE ^*
            %FINDING CL 
            if(alpha>0 && alpha <= 8)
                Cl = -0.0001*alpha^5 + 0.0016*alpha^4 - 0.0093*alpha^3 + 0.0219*alpha^2 + 0.0928*alpha + 0.0006;
            elseif(alpha > 8 && alpha <= 27)
                Cl = -.00001*alpha^2 + 0.0542*alpha - 0.5037;
            elseif(alpha > 27 && alpha <= 90)
                Cl = -.00000009*alpha^4 + .00003*alpha^3 - 0.0036*alpha^2 + 0.1761*alpha - 1.8521;
            else
                Cl=0;
            end

%FINDING CD
            if(alpha >= 0 && alpha <= 8)
                Cd = -.00001*alpha^3 + 0.0003*alpha^2 - 0.0003*alpha + 0.0134;
            elseif(alpha > 8 && alpha <= 90)
                Cd = -.0000000004*alpha^5 + .0000002*alpha^4 - .00003*alpha^3 + 0.0018*alpha^2 - 0.0196*alpha + 0.1616;
            else
                Cd = 0;
            end

sigma = numBlades * chord / (2 * pi * r);
            %*PROBLEM HERE v*
            aBMT = (1 / (1 + (4*sin(phi)^2) / (Cl * sigma * cos(phi))));

aPrimeBMT = (1 / ((4*cos(phi)) / (Cl * sigma))-1)
            %*PROBLEM HERE ^*
        end

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually that's not recursion it's just a simple "iterative" method. (the term "recusion" has a specific meaning in computer science and is something other than simple "looping" or iteration).

It would help if you described the equations you're trying to solve in a bit more detail as well as telling us exactly what iterative method (fixed point method, Newtons method etc) that you are trying to implement. (BTW it looks like a fixed point iterative method, but you should be telling us this info as it a fundamental part of what you're trying to do)

Yeah I guess I see how it's not exactly recursion. What I'm trying to do is calculate a value for 'a' (and aPrime). I use 'a' to calculate phi, and then use phi to calculate 'a'. I want it to constantly re-calculate 'a' and phi so that it converges to a specific value.

DyslexicHobo said:
Yeah I guess I see how it's not exactly recursion. What I'm trying to do is calculate a value for 'a' (and aPrime). I use 'a' to calculate phi, and then use phi to calculate 'a'. I want it to constantly re-calculate 'a' and phi so that it converges to a specific value.

Yeah that's called the "fixed point iteration" (FPI) method and it doesn't neccessarily converge unless the function you're trying to solve has certain properties (I think it needs local gradient less than unity). Your function is pretty messy and complicated so it's hard to tell if it's suitable for FPI. Given however that someone has told you to use the algorithm and said that it should work then it's mostly likely that you've made a programming error in implementing the function. Since we don't know exactly what function you're trying to implement it's obviuosly pretty difficult to tell you where your attempted implementation deviates from the (presently only know to yourself) desired function.

One thing that does stand out as a likely error however is the use of degrees in the trig functions. In real mathematics angles are always in radians.

I'd be pretty certain that you should be using phiRad in all the following expressions.
Code:
            aBMT = (1 / (1 + (4*sin(phi)^2) / (Cl * sigma * cos(phi))));
            aPrimeBMT = (1 / ((4*cos(phi)) / (Cl * sigma))-1)

Wow uart, your post was extremely helpful! I can't believe I overlooked a detail like that. I was originally using phi in degrees because it was required to find Cl and Cd using the functions we found.

Related to Need help with some matlab code - engineering project

1. What is Matlab?

Matlab is a programming language and numeric computing environment commonly used in scientific and engineering applications. It allows users to analyze data, develop algorithms, and create models and applications.

2. How can I get help with Matlab code?

There are several resources available for getting help with Matlab code. These include the official Matlab website, online forums and communities, and Matlab documentation and tutorials. You can also seek help from experienced Matlab users or hire a professional Matlab programmer.

3. Can Matlab be used for engineering projects?

Yes, Matlab is commonly used in engineering projects for tasks such as data analysis, signal processing, and modeling and simulation. Its powerful computational capabilities make it a popular choice for engineers.

4. How can I improve my Matlab coding skills?

One of the best ways to improve your Matlab coding skills is by practicing regularly and working on projects that challenge you. You can also take online courses or workshops, participate in coding challenges, and collaborate with other Matlab users.

5. Are there any alternatives to Matlab for engineering projects?

Yes, there are several alternatives to Matlab for engineering projects, such as Python, R, and Julia. These languages also have strong scientific computing capabilities and are often preferred by users for their open-source nature and large communities of users and developers.