Need help with Newtons third law and friction.

In summary, Homework Equations: The Attempt at a Solution states that for Garfield, Fnet is T+Fg, and for the mug, Fnet is T (since FN and FG cancel out). Newton's second law must be written in both x and y directions for both objects, and note that the tension in the diagonal rope isn't the same as the tension in the horizontal rope. Finally, resolve tension in the rope attached to the wall into components. At equilibrium, vertical component balances the weight of Garfield, horizontal component balances the friction force between mug and the table. Mass of the mug is given. Assume m as the mass of the coffee.
cruisx

Homework Statement

Hi guys i am trying to do question number 4 but i have not done a Question liek this in a very long time so i am forgetting where to start.

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/6976/101420092845.jpg"

Image is to big for the forum so its easier that way.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so first thing i did was make some FBDs and got my equations, idk if this is the first thing i should do...

for Garfield

Fnet = T+Fg
ma = mg-T

and for the mug

Fnet = T (since FN and FG cancel out correct)

Like i said its been about a year so i am rusty, could someone help me get the correct answer for 4?

thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
cruisx said:
Fnet = T+Fg
ma = mg-T

Unless you mean for Fnet, T, and Fg to be vectors, you have to write down Newton's second law for both the x and y directions. (You can't add forces unless they're acting in the same direction or opposite directions.) Keep in mind that the force pulling Garfield up is not T; it's the horizontal component of T.
and for the mug

Fnet = T (since FN and FG cancel out correct)

Actually, Fnet has to be 0 because the mug isn't acceleration. Again, write Newton's second law in both the x and y directions, and note that the tension in the diagonal rope isn't the same as the tension in the horizontal rope.

Resolve tension in the rope attached to the wall into components. At equilibrium, vertical component balances the weight of Garfield, horizontal component balances the friction force between mug and the table. Mass of the mug is given. Assume m as the mass of the coffee. from that find the total normal reaction and hence frictional force.

Ok thansk guys, i understand it better now, i am am makign progress. I don't want to make another topic so i will just ask here.

In Question number 2a, I would start by making an FBD then an equation for each mass correct? and then using those equations to find T1 and T2? But i am confused because they are two different tensions and my examples have not dealt with a Question like this.

Related to Need help with Newtons third law and friction.

1. What is Newton's Third Law?

Newton's Third Law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force back on the first object.

2. How does Newton's Third Law relate to friction?

Friction is a force that occurs when two surfaces rub against each other. According to Newton's Third Law, when one object applies a force on another object due to friction, the second object will apply an equal and opposite force back on the first object.

3. Can friction ever be completely eliminated?

No, friction cannot be completely eliminated. It is a fundamental force that occurs whenever two surfaces come into contact with each other. However, it can be reduced by using lubricants or changing the surface texture of the objects.

4. How does friction affect motion?

Friction can either help or hinder motion, depending on the situation. In some cases, friction can provide the necessary force to propel an object forward, such as when walking or driving a car. However, in other cases, friction can slow down or even stop an object's motion.

5. How can we use Newton's Third Law to reduce friction?

By understanding Newton's Third Law and how it relates to friction, we can design and use tools and machines that can help reduce friction. For example, using wheels and axles reduces friction by distributing the force over a larger area, making it easier to move objects.