Need help with light fixture transformer wiring distance

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of moving a low voltage light fixture's transformer to a farther location, specifically to a closet. The distance between the current location and the proposed location is 45 feet, with additional wiring from the fuse panel to the fixture and from the ceiling to the bulbs. The transformer is currently buzzing when the lights are dimmed and the individual is unsure if it is meant to be dimmable. They are looking for advice on whether this setup will work and if there are alternative dimmable transformers available.
leepearlman
I have a low voltage light fixture with a 12-volt transformer at the top of the fixture where it mounts to the ceiling. I would like to move the transformer to the closet where the source of the wiring for the fixture and my fuse panel reside. I am wondering if the distance is too great for the low voltage current to travel. The wiring from the fuse panel to the fixture is 45 feet long and is 12 gauge romex. Plus there are wires that are part of the fixture that go from the ceiling down to the bulbs which add a few more feet. They are probably 14-gauge. There are 16 20-watt bulbs in the fixture. The transformer has a label on it as seen in the photos below.

So, my main question is, will it work if I move the transformer that far away? I want to move the transformer because it buzzes when you dim the lights. I'm not sure if you're supposed to dim it or not. Any idea how to know this? If it's not dimmable, is there a dimmable transformer I can buy that will work in this situation?

[PLAIN]http://libertypromotions.com/photo.jpg
[PLAIN]http://libertypromotions.com/photo2.jpg

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org

Related to Need help with light fixture transformer wiring distance

1. What is the purpose of a light fixture transformer?

A light fixture transformer is used to convert the voltage of the power source to a lower voltage that is suitable for the light fixture. This allows for the safe and efficient operation of the light fixture.

2. How far can a light fixture transformer be placed from the light fixture?

The distance between the light fixture transformer and the light fixture should not exceed the maximum distance specified by the manufacturer. This distance can vary depending on the type and power of the transformer.

3. Can the wiring distance between the transformer and the light fixture be extended?

In most cases, the wiring distance between the transformer and the light fixture can be extended by using appropriate wiring and connectors. However, it is important to consult the manufacturer's instructions and guidelines to ensure safe and proper installation.

4. What happens if the wiring distance between the transformer and the light fixture is too long?

If the wiring distance between the transformer and the light fixture is too long, it can cause voltage drop, which can result in dimmer lights or flickering. This can also potentially damage the transformer or the light fixture.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when installing a light fixture transformer?

Yes, it is important to ensure that the transformer is installed in a well-ventilated area and is not overloaded with too many light fixtures. It is also important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and guidelines for proper wiring and installation to avoid any potential hazards.