Need help understanding proof that continuous functions are integrable

In summary, the lecturer's notes don't provide enough information for this theorem, and the proof is not well-explained.
chipotleaway
Actually, the theorem is that functions that are uniformly continuous are Riemann integrable, but not enough room in the title!

I'm failing to see the motivation behind proof given in my lecturer's notes (page 35, Theorem 3.29) and also do not understand the steps.

18m0t5.jpg

1) First thing I'm not sure I understand is in the first line of the proof - the definition of L. I think this is the set of all upper Riemann sums corresponding to different partitions, because for a given partition P, isn't the upper Riemann sum of f over P unique?
Then taking the infimum of the set would be taking the smallest upper Riemann sum.

2) I have no idea how the chain of inequalities come about, not even the first one.

3) Isn't the proof done by line 3 of the inequalities (before 'Also')? What do the last 3 lines show?

Any help is much appreciated - these proofs are doing my head in.

Physics news on Phys.org
chipotleaway said:
Actually, the theorem is that functions that are uniformly continuous are Riemann integrable, but not enough room in the title!

I'm failing to see the motivation behind proof given in my lecturer's notes (page 35, Theorem 3.29) and also do not understand the steps.

18m0t5.jpg

I'm going to assume that all instances of ##\bar S## are typos and should have been ##\bar s##.

1) First thing I'm not sure I understand is in the first line of the proof - the definition of L. I think this is the set of all upper Riemann sums corresponding to different partitions, because for a given partition P, isn't the upper Riemann sum of f over P unique?
Then taking the infimum of the set would be taking the smallest upper Riemann sum.

##L## is not the set of all upper sums. Rather it is the infimum of that set.

Given a partition ##\mathcal{P}##, ##\bar s(\mathcal{P})## is a number. It's the supremum (you can prove it's actually the max) of all Riemann sums with sample points chosen according to the partition. I personally wouldn't use the word "unique" to describe a number. Maybe "well-defined" ...

2) I have no idea how the chain of inequalities come about, not even the first one.

The first inequality follows from the fact that ##\bar s(\mathcal{P})## is the max of all Riemann sums with sample points chosen according to ##\mathcal{P}##.

I have not worked out the details, but the second inequality almost certainly follows from the uniform continuity condition and the fact that ##\mathcal{P}_{\epsilon}'## is a refinement of ##\mathcal{P}##. While ##\bar s(\mathcal{P}_\epsilon ')\leq\bar s(\mathcal{P})## (a refinement results in a smaller upper sum), ##2\epsilon\Pi|b_j-a_j|## is (supposedly ... again I haven't checked the details) enough of a buffer to get the given inequality.

The third inequality follows from the fact that ##\bar s(\mathcal{P}_\epsilon ')\leq\bar s(\mathcal{P}_\epsilon )##, which is true because ... I'll let you figure that out. Hint: I already gave you the answer.

The last inequality is true because ##\bar s(\mathcal{P}_\epsilon)-L\leq\epsilon## from the definition of ##\mathcal{P}_\epsilon##.

3) Isn't the proof done by line 3 of the inequalities (before 'Also')? What do the last 3 lines show?

The first round of inequalities establishes an upper bound on ##\sum_{R\in\mathcal{P}}f(x(R))\int_R\ dy-L##. The second batch gives a lower bound. You need both to establish ##\sum_{R\in\mathcal{P}}f(x(R))\int_R\ dy-L\rightarrow 0##.

Likes 1 person
Thanks a lot gopher, think I get it now. I'd thought the partition P had to be the one that gave the smallest Riemann sum and this was one of things that was making it confusing. By the way, the 2ε∏|b-a| term results from the previous lemma in the notes.

I still don't see how he came up with the proof though that applies for the majority of calculus/analysis proofs I work through - it's all stuff I could never come up with (proofs in linear algebra at this level, I find much more doable).

Related to Need help understanding proof that continuous functions are integrable

1. What does it mean for a continuous function to be integrable?

Integrability refers to a mathematical property that describes how well-behaved a function is with respect to integration. A continuous function is integrable if it can be integrated over a given interval using standard integration techniques.

2. How is the integrability of a continuous function proven?

The integrability of a continuous function can be proven by using the Riemann integral, which is a mathematical tool that allows us to calculate the area under a curve. If a function satisfies the conditions of the Riemann integral, it is considered to be integrable.

3. Can all continuous functions be integrated?

No, not all continuous functions are integrable. The Riemann integral only applies to functions that are bounded and have a finite number of discontinuities within a given interval. Functions that do not satisfy these conditions are not integrable.

4. What is the significance of proving that a continuous function is integrable?

Proving that a continuous function is integrable is important because it allows us to calculate the area under the curve, which has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It also helps us understand the behavior of the function and make predictions about its values.

5. Are there any alternative methods for proving the integrability of a continuous function?

Yes, there are alternative methods for proving the integrability of a continuous function, such as the Lebesgue integral. This method is more general and can be applied to a wider range of functions, including those that are not Riemann integrable. However, the Riemann integral is still the most commonly used method for proving integrability in most cases.