Need help solving resistor network problems

In summary, the book didn't go into much detail on solving these kinds of problems, and there are many websites and books that can help with this.
junior_J
this isn't so much of a homework question . I am having trouble with identifying and calcultaing effective resistence for parallel or series connected resistors particularly ones that are very complex to even understand what's going on ... I did look through various websites and books looking for answers but ended up finding nothing ... my book listed 2 examples of the kind but these were poorly explained :(

this is not so much of a homework problem, but I've been having trouble solving these questions (2 days in a row )... are there any ways or say tips i could use to tackle these problems ? websites I've missed , books i might have to glance through ?? (but mainly helpful websites ...)

thanks in advance .
junior

Physics news on Phys.org
When you can, use series & parallel combinations of resistors to simplify the circuit. Once you're done with the simplifications, write the KCL (or KCL) equations for the nodes, and solve for the node voltages.

the problems I am dealing with right now don't even mention emfs or pds ... they say something to the effect " Find the effective resistence between x and y " ... and in between x and y lies a jungle of resistors . I can't even comprehend how theyre put together ...

Well, it's physical, so it's solvable. Can you post a copy of the drawing?

there are many of these problems ... I just want to learn how to do this ... errm if ud do it for me Ill get off the hook pretty easy

Can u just tell me how ud go about solving these ? may be tips/pointers or something like that

teach a man how to fish blah blah proverb comes to mind :)

... will i have to draw this one on mspaint ? really ... !
Im not jokin around ... i googled for these problems , nothin came up ...

Sometimes you can use a symmetry in the problem to help out. Like with R-2R ladders used in DAC circuits, for example. Either you can simplify with parallel-series combinations, or use a symmetry, or you just have to brute force it with KCL. If all the resistors have the same value or related values, that generally helps with the symmetry arguments.

My physics book doesn't even go as far as to properly describe how to do these ... Ill be damned if i ever open that book again !

anyways ur not getting through ... i have a thick skull !

thanks.

Related to Need help solving resistor network problems

1. How do I identify the resistors in a network?

To identify the resistors in a network, you need to first understand the circuit and its components. Look for any labels or color bands on the resistors themselves, which can indicate their resistance value. You can also use a multimeter to measure the resistance of each resistor in the network.

2. What is the best method for solving resistor network problems?

The best method for solving resistor network problems is to use a combination of Kirchhoff's circuit laws and Ohm's law. These laws can help you analyze the circuit and calculate the equivalent resistance of the network. Additionally, using a systematic approach and breaking the network into smaller, simpler circuits can make the problem easier to solve.

3. How do I calculate the equivalent resistance of a series or parallel network?

To calculate the equivalent resistance of a series network, simply add up the resistance values of each resistor. For a parallel network, you can use the formula 1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 +... where Req is the equivalent resistance and R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances. Alternatively, you can use the parallel resistance calculator on many online resources.

4. What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, the components are connected one after another in a single loop, with the same current flowing through each component. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in separate branches, with the voltage across each component being the same, but the current may differ. Additionally, the equivalent resistance of a series circuit is the sum of individual resistances, while in a parallel circuit it is less than the smallest individual resistance.

5. How can I check if my solution for a resistor network problem is correct?

To check if your solution for a resistor network problem is correct, you can use Kirchhoff's circuit laws to verify that the current and voltage values at different points in the circuit match your calculated values. You can also use a multimeter to measure the current and voltage at different points and compare them to your calculated values. If they match, your solution is likely correct.