Need help showing important tangent plane property:

In summary, the conversation focuses on the tangent surface of a regular differentiable curve and the equality of tangent planes along this curve. The homework equations involve the normal vector and the general tangent plane equation. The attempt at a solution involves finding the normal vector and using the tangent plane equation, but the solution is not yet complete. There is also a discussion on the parameterization of the curve and how it may affect the solution.
ozone

Homework Statement

Consider the tangent surface of some regular differentiable curve given as [itex]X(t,v) = \alpha(t) + v \alpha'(t) [/itex]. Show that the tangent planes along X(t,constant) are equal.

Homework Equations

[itex] N = \frac{X_{t} \wedge X_{v}}{|X_{t} \wedge X_{v}|} [/itex]

The general tangent plane equation, [itex]T_{t_0}(S) = N|_{t_0, v_0} \cdot( (t - t_0) - (v-v_0)) = 0 [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the equation above I solved for [itex] N = \hat{v} b(s) [/itex] where b(s) is the binormal to the curve.

However I wasn't sure if this was correct since it does not seem like I am close to answering the problem. I wanted to reach the conclusion that [itex] \frac{dN}{dt} = 0 [/itex] along this curve, but this seemed to be untrue. Another idea was to show that the tangent plane equation is the same for all initial points [itex] t_0 [/itex] but this too seemed incorrect.

I am really stuck at this point and would love it if anyone could point me in the right direction

Physics news on Phys.org
Edit: I realized v is just a constant so what we really should have is something like [itex] N = \pm b(t) [/itex]. Also I forgot to mention I had a factor of [itex] |\alpha(t)|^4 [/itex] so that [itex] N = \pm |\alpha(t)|^4 b(t) [/itex] but I assumed that the curve is parameterized by arc-length so that I could ignore this term.. I'm not sure that it should make any difference by including it.

Also I should note that I wrote the tangent plane equation down very wrong, it should be given by

[itex] T_{t_0,v_0}(S) = N|_{t_0,v_0} \cdot ((x,y,z) - X(t_0,v_0)) [/itex]

Which would simplify to

[itex] T_{t_0,v_0}(S) = \pm |\alpha(t_0)|^4 (b(t_0) \cdot (x,y,z) - b(t_0) \cdot \alpha(t_0) ) [/itex]

Which we would then want to show is not changing as [itex] t_0 [/itex] varies

Last edited:

Related to Need help showing important tangent plane property:

1. What is a tangent plane?

A tangent plane is a plane that touches a curved surface at a specific point, known as the point of tangency. It is a flat surface that approximates the slope of the curved surface at that particular point.

2. Why is the tangent plane important?

The tangent plane is important because it helps us understand the behavior of a curved surface at a specific point. It allows us to approximate the slope and direction of the surface, which is useful in many scientific and mathematical applications.

3. How is the tangent plane calculated?

The tangent plane is calculated using a concept called the derivative, which is a measure of the rate of change of a function at a given point. The derivative at a point on a curved surface gives us the slope of the tangent plane at that point.

4. What is the tangent plane property?

The tangent plane property is a fundamental property of a tangent plane, which states that the tangent plane to a surface at a point is perpendicular to the normal vector of the surface at that point. In other words, the tangent plane and the surface are orthogonal to each other at the point of tangency.

5. How is the tangent plane property used in real-world applications?

The tangent plane property has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics. It is used to calculate the surface normal for 3D modeling, approximate the slope of a terrain for mapping and navigation, and determine the direction of a force acting on a curved surface.