Need help - projectile motion with air resistance

In summary, the conversation discusses the comparison between the times required for a projectile to reach its maximum height with and without air resistance. The equation for the resisting force is given as F = m(dv/dt) = kv - mg, and the initial conditions for solving are vi = vo and vf = 0. It is clarified that the resisting force is simply kv, not mkv, and it acts in the same direction as the gravitational force.
don_anon25
Need urgent help -- projectile motion with air resistance

Consider a projectile fired vertically in a constant gravitational field. For the same inital velocities, compare the times required for the projectile to reach its maximum height (a) for zero resisting force and (b) for a resisting force proportional to the instantaneous velocity of the projectile.

For a, I get t=-v0/a.
For b, I have the equation F= m dv/dt=kmv-mg, which leads me to
dv/dt=kv-g.
Is this correct...If so, I can take it from here.
If not what should it be?? What should my initial condition be to solve for the constant? Should it be v(t=0)=v0?

Thanks much!

Physics news on Phys.org
The resisting force is simply kv, rather than mkv and it is acting in the same direction as the gravitational force, mg.

Initial/end conditions are vi = vo and vf = 0.

Hello,

It seems like you are on the right track with your equations. For the case with zero resisting force, your formula for the time to reach maximum height is correct. For the case with air resistance, your equation for the velocity is also correct. To solve for the constant k, you can use your initial condition of v(t=0)=v0. This means that at the initial time, the velocity of the projectile is equal to its initial velocity. You can then solve for k using this condition and your equation for velocity.

Once you have the value of k, you can use it to solve for the time to reach maximum height in the same way as you did for the case with zero resistance. However, it is important to note that the presence of air resistance will cause the projectile to reach a lower maximum height and take longer to reach it compared to the case with no resistance.

I hope this helps and good luck with your calculations.

Related to Need help - projectile motion with air resistance

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity alone. This type of motion can be seen in objects such as a thrown ball or a rocket launch.

2. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance is a force that opposes the motion of an object through the air. It can affect the speed and trajectory of a projectile, causing it to slow down and change direction.

3. How do you calculate projectile motion with air resistance?

To calculate projectile motion with air resistance, you will need to use equations that take into account the force of gravity, the mass and velocity of the object, and the air resistance. These equations can be found in most physics textbooks or online resources.

4. What factors can affect air resistance in projectile motion?

The factors that can affect air resistance in projectile motion include the shape and size of the object, the density of the air, and the velocity of the object. The greater the surface area of the object, the greater the air resistance will be.

5. How can understanding projectile motion with air resistance be useful?

Understanding projectile motion with air resistance can be useful in a variety of fields such as engineering, sports, and aviation. It can help in designing more efficient and accurate projectiles or predicting the trajectory of a thrown object.