Need help on determining the size and type of fluid pickup pump

In summary: The Solar Concentrator panels will produce about 950 watts of power, and the boiler will need about 2.1 gallons of R123 per hour to run at full capacity. That would require a pump that could handle a flow rate of about 10 liters per minute.
BernieM
I have 5 Solar Concentrator panels I have built with a 1 meter wide by 3 meter long footprint each. The solar absorber tubes are 3/4" Type M Copper piping that is black chrome coated (98% absorptivity) surrounded by a borosilicate glass envelope (92% transmissivity).

There is a hard vacuum between the absorber pipe and the glass (10^-9 Torr), virtually eliminating convective losses and since borosilicate transmits short wavelength IR very well and reflects long wave IR there is almost no radiation losses of heat either.

The reflectors are made of aluminized mylar with an efficiency of 97%. The over all efficiency (theoretical) is approximately 87%. Distance between solar panels and boiler is very short (less than 3 meters) so not much heat is lost in fluid transport to the boiler, so overall efficiency reaching the boiler should be around 75% to 80% of input energy. Piping is insulated.

The operating temperature of this system will be about 260C. Solar input is per available sun near Phoenix, AZ.

Mineral oil will be circulated through it to a small boiler (approximately 7 gallons in size) with a heat exchanger inside it. The working fluid in the boiler is R113 (boiling point of approximately 48C), which when vaporized will go through a 5 hp air motor then to a radiator which will be bathed in a flow of cool water (20C).

The condensed R113 will then be picked up and pumped back into the tank.

Here is the problem:

I do not have the know-how or education to calculate the flow rates of the freon through the system and figure out what kind and size of pump i need to use to pick up the freon flowing through the system.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
In addition, I am planning to use an automotive radiator bathed in a shower of cold water as the condenser. Does anyone see any significant problem with this?

You need steam tables for your working medium. Figure out how much energy your collectors are going to produce, and also your hot and cold temperatures. After that you just have to do the math to find out how much flow and at what pressure. I'll see what I can do to help tommorow when I get home, as I'm at work now.

Related to Need help on determining the size and type of fluid pickup pump

Question 1: What is a fluid pickup pump?

A fluid pickup pump is a device used to transfer fluids from one location to another. It is commonly used in industrial and automotive applications to move liquids such as oil, gasoline, and water.

Question 2: How do I determine the size of a fluid pickup pump?

The size of a fluid pickup pump is determined by the amount of liquid it needs to transfer and the rate at which it needs to be transferred. Factors such as flow rate, pressure, and viscosity of the fluid should also be considered when choosing the appropriate size.

Question 3: What types of fluid pickup pumps are available?

There are various types of fluid pickup pumps including diaphragm pumps, gear pumps, centrifugal pumps, and peristaltic pumps. The type of pump needed will depend on the specific application and the characteristics of the fluid being transferred.

Question 4: What factors should I consider when selecting a fluid pickup pump?

When selecting a fluid pickup pump, you should consider the type and viscosity of the fluid, the required flow rate and pressure, the size and weight of the pump, and the power source available. It is also important to consider the maintenance requirements and the cost of the pump.

Question 5: Can a fluid pickup pump be used for multiple types of fluids?

Some fluid pickup pumps are designed to handle a wide range of fluids, while others are more specialized for specific types of liquids. It is important to check the manufacturer's specifications to ensure the pump is suitable for the type of fluid you need to transfer.