Need help of establishing school engineering club

In summary, Minseok is looking to start an engineering club in high school and is seeking advice on setting the curriculum. They are considering using MAKE Magazine DIY projects, as well as books such as Digital Fundamentals/Electronics Fundamentals by Floyd and Make: Electronics, Arduino Cookbook. They are also open to additional suggestions and appreciate any help they can receive.
cheon7886
Hello.
I'm trying to make school engineering club, in high school, and I'm team leader.
We want to teach mechanical engineering&electrical engineering.
But I'm little confused because of setting curriculum of our club.
What books&What courses can be useful?
I'm thinking Digital Fundamentals/Electronics Fundamentals(floyd) and Make: Electronics, Arduino Cookbook will be helpful.
Any help that I receive will be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Minseok
(Sorry for my low english level, I'm korean...)

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
cheon7886 said:
Hello.
I'm trying to make school engineering club, in high school, and I'm team leader.
We want to teach mechanical engineering&electrical engineering.
But I'm little confused because of setting curriculum of our club.
What books&What courses can be useful?
I'm thinking Digital Fundamentals/Electronics Fundamentals(floyd) and Make: Electronics, Arduino Cookbook will be helpful.
Any help that I receive will be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Minseok
(Sorry for my low english level, I'm korean...)

Welcome to the PF. I think using the MAKE Magazine DIY projects as the initial basis for your club is a great idea. It gives folks immediate tangible results, instead of just being another class to sit through.

When I was in high school, we had a digital electronics club and we used simple TTL components to make ripple counters, clocks, and other neat little electronic widgets like that. You could also go more advanced and make a small balancing inverted pendulum (like a mini Segway), but that would a bit of help from a teacher to get the mechanics and controls down.

Related to Need help of establishing school engineering club

1. How do I start an engineering club at my school?

To start an engineering club at your school, first gather a group of interested students and determine the purpose and goals of the club. Then, reach out to school administrators to get permission and support. Next, create a plan for club activities and recruit members. Finally, hold regular meetings and events to establish the club.

2. What are the benefits of joining an engineering club?

Joining an engineering club can provide numerous benefits such as developing technical skills, networking with other students and professionals, participating in hands-on projects, and gaining leadership experience. It can also help students explore their interests in the field of engineering and prepare for future academic and career opportunities.

3. Do I need to have prior engineering knowledge to join the club?

No, you do not need to have prior engineering knowledge to join an engineering club. These clubs are open to all students, regardless of their experience or background. The purpose of the club is to provide opportunities for students to learn and explore the field of engineering, so beginners are welcome to join and learn alongside more experienced members.

4. What types of activities and events does an engineering club typically organize?

An engineering club may organize a variety of activities and events such as guest speakers, workshops, field trips to engineering companies or universities, and hands-on projects. These projects can include building and designing structures, solving engineering challenges, and participating in competitions. The club may also offer tutoring or mentoring opportunities for members.

5. How can I get funding or resources for my engineering club?

There are several ways to obtain funding and resources for an engineering club. You can reach out to local engineering companies for sponsorships or donations, apply for grants or funding from your school or community organizations, or hold fundraisers. Additionally, many engineering clubs have partnerships with their school's engineering department, which can provide access to resources such as equipment and facilities.