Need help manipulating Van der Walls Force

• Thread starter hemi426
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of charges in physics, particularly the attraction and repulsion between protons, electrons, and neutrons. The use of van der Waals force in electrostatic interactions between molecules is also mentioned. The conversation then shifts to the possibility of creating a practical device using electricity to induce repulsion between objects, without the use of van der Graff generators. A YouTube video of a young boy demonstrating such a device is shared, and the conversation ends with a request for information on how to create a similar device and where to purchase materials used in the gecko's foot for sticking to surfaces.
hemi426
Hi,
Its my first time so forgive me if I miss something.

I know a bit about physics. Protons +1, electrons -1, and neutrons have a charge of 0. Opposite charges attract and similar charges repel.
Van der waals force deals with electrostatic interactions between molecules.
We all know that a baloon rubbed on hair will "stick" because of a static charge. I am looking to do the same thing to objects but have them repel instead. The only catch is i need to do it in a more practical manner using electricity and it needs to be practicaly small in size (smaller than 2in^3 would be ideal) no van der graff generators:rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PYVTQ9GaxE&feature=channel_page
This video show a kid who created one and is using it to stick cards and other objects to the wall.

Does anyone know more about how to create one or where I can find out how to create one?

I am also interested in how a geckos foot uses van der waals forces to stick to almost any surface. It does this using lots of seta or little bristels each a few nanometers thick. Does anyone know where to buy a material like this?
thanks in advance:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Hi there,

Manipulating Van der Waals forces can be a tricky task, but it is definitely possible with the right approach. First of all, it's great that you have an understanding of basic physics principles such as charge and electrostatic interactions between molecules.

One way to manipulate Van der Waals forces is by using an external electric field. This can be achieved by using a device called an electroadhesive pad. It works by applying a high voltage to a conductive pad, which creates an electric field that can either attract or repel objects depending on the polarity of the field. These pads are commonly used in robotics and can be purchased online.

Another option is to use a material with a high surface energy. Van der Waals forces are stronger between molecules with high surface energies, so by choosing a material with a high surface energy, you can increase the strength of these forces and potentially achieve the desired repelling effect. Some materials with high surface energies include certain types of plastics, rubber, and silicone.

In terms of creating a device similar to the one in the video you shared, you can try experimenting with different materials and their surface energies to see if you can achieve the desired repelling effect. As for the gecko's foot, the setae or tiny bristles are made of a material called keratin, which is a protein found in hair and nails. You can try using materials with similar properties to achieve a similar effect.

I hope this helps and good luck with your project!

Related to Need help manipulating Van der Walls Force

1. What is Van der Waals Force?

Van der Waals Force is a type of intermolecular force that exists between molecules. It is caused by the temporary dipoles that occur due to the uneven distribution of electrons in a molecule, which can attract or repel other molecules.

2. How can Van der Waals Force be manipulated?

Van der Waals Force can be manipulated by changing the distance between molecules or by changing the polarity of the molecules. This can be achieved by altering the temperature, pressure, or adding other molecules to the system.

3. What are some practical applications of manipulating Van der Waals Force?

Manipulating Van der Waals Force is important in many fields, including materials science, biology, and chemistry. It can be used to improve the adhesion of surfaces, create self-assembling structures, and control the behavior of biological molecules.

4. How does the strength of Van der Waals Force compare to other intermolecular forces?

Van der Waals Force is generally weaker than other intermolecular forces such as hydrogen bonding and covalent bonding. However, it is still an important force that contributes to the overall properties and behavior of molecules.

5. Are there any limitations to manipulating Van der Waals Force?

While Van der Waals Force can be manipulated to a certain extent, it is ultimately governed by the inherent properties of the molecules involved. Therefore, there are limitations to how much it can be altered or controlled.