Need help in solving a recurrence relation

In summary, the conversation discusses a difficult recurrence relation and potential methods for solving it, such as z-transforms and generating functions. It is noted that there may not be enough information to solve the problem without knowing more about the terms of the relation.
Constantinos
Hey!

I was trying to find the expected time an algorithm takes to solve a certain problem, and I ended up in a very nasty recurrence relation of this form:

a[itex]_{k,k}[/itex] = [itex]\overline{c}[/itex]a[itex]_{k,k-1}[/itex]+[itex]\overline{c}[/itex]a[itex]_{k-1,k}[/itex]+c[itex]^{2}[/itex]a[itex]_{k-1,k-1}[/itex]-[itex]\overline{c}[/itex][itex]^{3}[/itex]a[itex]_{k-1,k-2}[/itex]-[itex]\overline{c}[/itex][itex]^{3}[/itex]a[itex]_{k-2,k-1}[/itex]+([itex]\overline{c}[/itex]-c)[itex]\overline{c}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex]a[itex]_{k-2,k-2}[/itex]+y((k,k))

with initial conditions:

a[itex]_{n,0}[/itex] = n [itex]\forall[/itex] n
and
a[itex]_{0,n}[/itex] = n [itex]\forall[/itex] n

and a,y:[itex]N[/itex]X[itex]N[/itex]→ℝ

I have no idea where to even begin! I've never encountered such a thing before, and it is actually a simpler version of a relation involving the full history of the recurrence relation(i.e all of the terms a[itex]_{k1,k2}[/itex] : k1≤k, k2≤ k )

What methods do I have to study to solve that?

Physics news on Phys.org
oh and [itex]\overline{c}[/itex]+c = 1

Last edited:
Constantinos said:
Hey!

I was trying to find the expected time an algorithm takes to solve a certain problem, and I ended up in a very nasty recurrence relation of this form:

a[itex]_{k,k}[/itex] = [itex]\overline{c}[/itex]a[itex]_{k,k-1}[/itex]+[itex]\overline{c}[/itex]a[itex]_{k-1,k}[/itex]+c[itex]^{2}[/itex]a[itex]_{k-1,k-1}[/itex]-[itex]\overline{c}[/itex][itex]^{3}[/itex]a[itex]_{k-1,k-2}[/itex]-[itex]\overline{c}[/itex][itex]^{3}[/itex]a[itex]_{k-2,k-1}[/itex]+([itex]\overline{c}[/itex]-c)[itex]\overline{c}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex]a[itex]_{k-2,k-2}[/itex]+y((k,k))

with initial conditions:

a[itex]_{n,0}[/itex] = n [itex]\forall[/itex] n
and
a[itex]_{0,n}[/itex] = n [itex]\forall[/itex] n

and a,y:[itex]N[/itex]X[itex]N[/itex]→ℝ

I have no idea where to even begin! I've never encountered such a thing before, and it is actually a simpler version of a relation involving the full history of the recurrence relation(i.e all of the terms a[itex]_{k1,k2}[/itex] : k1≤k, k2≤ k )

What methods do I have to study to solve that?

You could try a z-transform, or a generating function. Let [itex] f(z)=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty} a_{k,k} z^k, \;\; f_1(z) = \sum_{k} a_{k-1,k,k} z^k, \;\mbox{ and } f_2(z) = \sum_{k} a_{k,k-1} z^k. [/itex] Then, if we know [itex] f_1(z)[/itex] and [itex] f_2(z) [/itex] we can get [itex] f(z)[/itex], and we can then "invert" to get the ak,k. Note, however, that we must know f_1 and f_2, and that means we do not have enough information to solve the problem: we need to know something about ai,j for i ≠ j. For example, we would get something very different if we have ak,j = aj,k = 0 for 1 ≤ j ≤ k-1, vs. ak,j = aj,k = k for 0 ≤ j ≤ k, etc.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
You could try a z-transform, or a generating function. Let [itex] f(z)=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty} a_{k,k} z^k, \;\; f_1(z) = \sum_{k} a_{k-1,k,k} z^k, \;\mbox{ and } f_2(z) = \sum_{k} a_{k,k-1} z^k. [/itex] Then, if we know [itex] f_1(z)[/itex] and [itex] f_2(z) [/itex] we can get [itex] f(z)[/itex], and we can then "invert" to get the ak,k. Note, however, that we must know f_1 and f_2, and that means we do not have enough information to solve the problem: we need to know something about ai,j for i ≠ j. For example, we would get something very different if we have ak,j = aj,k = 0 for 1 ≤ j ≤ k-1, vs. ak,j = aj,k = k for 0 ≤ j ≤ k, etc.

RGV

Thanks!

I'll try Z transforms then and see what I get. Also, I'll try to get a recurrence relation for a general a_i_j for any i,j, not just i=j=k. Also it holds that a_i_j = a_j_i for all i,j but I don't know if that helps...

Related to Need help in solving a recurrence relation

1. What is a recurrence relation?

A recurrence relation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between successive terms of a sequence. It is used to recursively define a sequence by expressing each term in terms of previous terms.

2. Why do we need to solve recurrence relations?

Recurrence relations are often used in algorithms and computer science to analyze the time complexity of a problem. By solving a recurrence relation, we can determine how the running time of an algorithm increases with the input size.

3. What is the process for solving a recurrence relation?

The process for solving a recurrence relation involves identifying the base case(s), determining the recurrence relation, and then using methods such as substitution or iteration to solve for the general solution. The solution can then be tailored to fit the specific problem at hand.

4. Are there any common techniques for solving recurrence relations?

Yes, some common techniques for solving recurrence relations include substitution, iteration, and the master theorem. These techniques can be used to solve different types of recurrence relations, such as linear, homogeneous, or non-homogeneous relations.

5. Can recurrence relations be solved using a computer program?

Yes, recurrence relations can be solved using a computer program. There are various programming languages and libraries that have built-in functions for solving recurrence relations. Additionally, the process of solving a recurrence relation can also be implemented in a program using recursive or iterative methods.