Need help finding the difference of two forces

In summary: In this case, the book is telling us that the angle of the resultant is 160.6 degrees, which is in the second quadrant. However, when we try to find this angle using the x and y components of the resultant, we get a positive x component and a negative y component. This suggests that the resultant is in the first quadrant, which is not what the book says.
dlacombe13

Homework Statement

Find P-Q (P=11.5 kN, Q=12.5kN)
statics2_zpslkduxl9r.png

Homework Equations

x-component = cos(angle)*force
y-component = sin(angle)*force
Pythagorean Theorem (to find resultant magnitude): c2 = a2 + b2
arctan (y-component / x-component) : to find angle of resultant

The Attempt at a Solution

The answers for this problem are given to me in my book: magnitude = 14.63 kN @ 160.6°
However, I am having trouble getting the direction.

I first solved for the x and y components of P:
x-component = cos(75)*11.5 = 2.97642
y-component = sin(75)*11.5 = 11.1081

Then I replaced Q with -Q and solved for the x and y components:
x-component = cos(-30)*12.5 = 10.8253
y-component = sin(-30)*12.5 = -6.25

I then solved for the magnitude by adding the x-components and y -components, and then used Pythagorean theorem:
x-component = 10.8253+2.97642 = 13.8017
y-component =-6.25 + 11.1081 = 4.8581

√(13.8017)2 + (4.8581)2 ≈ 14.63 kN (correct)

Then I solve for the arctan of the components:

arctan (4.8581 / 13.8017) ≈ 19.3917

My confusion arises here, since the book states that the angle is 160.6° which places the resultant in the second quadrant...however how can this be if the x and y components of my resultant are both positive, which suggests that it is in the first quadrant?

If I subtract this from 180, I do get 160.608 which is the answer, but it doesn't make sense to me why I would do that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Uh ... how did you get a positive X component for -Q ?

When I typed in cos(-30)*12.5 into my calculator it gave me +10.8253

You actually made me rethink and realize what I did. I was supposed to literally move Q in the completely opposite direction. What I did was only reverse it in the y-direction. Now my math makes sense, I have negative x-component and y-component and my answers make sense. Thank you very much. I know it seems like I didn't think this through first, but I was actually stumped for a while because my book only gave a me one example of this type of problem :/

dlacombe13 said:

Homework Statement

Find P-Q (P=11.5 kN, Q=12.5kN)
statics2_zpslkduxl9r.png

Homework Equations

x-component = cos(angle)*force
y-component = sin(angle)*force
Pythagorean Theorem (to find resultant magnitude): c2 = a2 + b2
arctan (y-component / x-component) : to find angle of resultant

The Attempt at a Solution

The answers for this problem are given to me in my book: magnitude = 14.63 kN @ 160.6°
However, I am having trouble getting the direction.

I first solved for the x and y components of P:
x-component = cos(75)*11.5 = 2.97642
y-component = sin(75)*11.5 = 11.1081

Then I replaced Q with -Q and solved for the x and y components:
x-component = cos(-30)*12.5 = 10.8253
y-component = sin(-30)*12.5 = -6.25

I then solved for the magnitude by adding the x-components and y -components, and then used Pythagorean theorem:
x-component = 10.8253+2.97642 = 13.8017
y-component =-6.25 + 11.1081 = 4.8581

√(13.8017)2 + (4.8581)2 ≈ 14.63 kN (correct)

Then I solve for the arctan of the components:

arctan (4.8581 / 13.8017) ≈ 19.3917

My confusion arises here, since the book states that the angle is 160.6° which places the resultant in the second quadrant...however how can this be if the x and y components of my resultant are both positive, which suggests that it is in the first quadrant?

If I subtract this from 180, I do get 160.608 which is the answer, but it doesn't make sense to me why I would do that?

You can't ignore the reference points for the angles which define the vectors P and Q. Take the origin of the coordinate system at the point where the tail ends of both vectors coincide. The y-components of P and Q are both positive, but the x-components should be of opposite signs.

Another way to do this: The vector P- Q is the vector from the tip of vector Q to vector P. Ignoring, temporarily, the direction of that vector, it is the third side of a triangle with two sides of length 11.5 and 12.5 with angle 180- 75- 30= 180- 105= 75. By the cosine law, the length of the third side, and so the length of the difference vector, is where [itex]c^2= (11.5)^2+ (12.5)^2- 2(11.5)(12.5) cos(75)[/itex]. The angle

dlacombe13 said:
You actually made me rethink and realize what I did. I was supposed to literally move Q in the completely opposite direction. What I did was only reverse it in the y-direction. Now my math makes sense, I have negative x-component and y-component and my answers make sense. Thank you very much. I know it seems like I didn't think this through first, but I was actually stumped for a while because my book only gave a me one example of this type of problem :/
We all make this kind of obvious error from time to time (well, I do anyway :smile:)

Related to Need help finding the difference of two forces

1. What is the difference between two forces?

The difference between two forces is the magnitude and direction of each force. Forces are vector quantities, meaning they have both magnitude (size) and direction. The difference between two forces can be calculated by subtracting the magnitude of one force from the magnitude of the other, and determining the direction of the resulting force vector.

2. How can I find the difference of two forces?

To find the difference of two forces, you will need to know the magnitude and direction of each force. You can then use vector addition or subtraction to calculate the difference. To do this, you will need to break down the forces into their x and y components, add or subtract the components separately, and then combine the resulting components to find the difference in magnitude and direction.

3. Can the difference of two forces be negative?

Yes, the difference of two forces can be negative. This occurs when the resulting force vector points in the opposite direction of the larger force. It is important to consider both magnitude and direction when calculating the difference between two forces.

4. What is the unit of measurement for the difference of two forces?

The unit of measurement for the difference of two forces will depend on the units used to measure the original forces. If the forces are measured in newtons (N), then the difference of the forces will also be measured in newtons. It is important to maintain consistent units when calculating the difference of two forces.

5. How is the difference of two forces used in physics?

The difference of two forces is used in physics to determine the resulting force in a system. This is important in analyzing the motion of objects and predicting their behavior. The difference of two forces can also be used to calculate the net force acting on an object, which is crucial in determining the object's acceleration according to Newton's second law of motion.