Need Guidance for choosing career

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion of a 17-year-old studying engineering in grade 12 about what to do next. It is mentioned that one should focus on areas with high overlap between personal interests and demand in desired locations. The conversation also mentions the importance of choosing an educational path that aligns with one's interests and strengths, and considering job prospects after graduation. However, the question about field demand in different countries is deemed too broad and not helpful in choosing a career path.
HaSnain145
Hi ,
I am 17 , Studying Engineering in Grade 12 ( last year of college ) , and ReaLLy confuse what to do next .Can somebody help

Physics news on Phys.org
You should focus on areas with high overlap between what you like a lot and where there will be strong demand in the places you want to live.

Some fields (astrophysics, space physics, aeronautical engineering) have strong supply of people with less demand for employees than other fields (computer science, EE, Mech E, etc.) Some areas (South Louisiana) have very unique demand profiles.

Likes russ_watters, HaSnain145 and StatGuy2000
For most people interested in STEM fields as they finish high school, the next step is figuring out their advanced education. At this stage, you're not really choosing a career - that comes later. You're choosing an educational path which will likely impact your career. There are a lot of options out there, and in most cases they come with substantial costs, both financial and time.

Have you figured out what you like doing? Do you enjoy building things, programming, mathematics, physics labs? What things are you good at? What things are you willing to put effort into getting good at? This is a time in your life for figuring these things out. You can pursue an education where things you enjoy and things that you're good at seem to overlap. And of course, it's important to heed the advice given by Dr. Courtney too. Where will the education that you pursue lead you? Where are graduates of the programs that you're considering ending up? Is that where you would like to be?

Likes russ_watters and Dr. Courtney
Can you tell that which field demand is high and which field demand will likely increase in next 5 to 8 years. ( of different countries such as in Germany and etc )

HaSnain145 said:
Can you tell that which field demand is high and which field demand will likely increase in next 5 to 8 years. ( of different countries such as in Germany and etc )
I'm sorry, but that just isn't a very good question. It is too broad and not clearly related to your original question: it has to start with you and what you want. You can't choose a a career path just by picking based on favorable statistics. For example, a quick google tells me that the fastest growing career in the USA is "wind turbine service technician" at 108%. Is that information really helpful to you?

Yeah, you're right , I know it and am not picking only because of statistics. And I ask because to gather information about it , [So Somehow it may helpe me]

russ_watters said:
I'm sorry, but that just isn't a very good question. It is too broad and not clearly related to your original question: it has to start with you and what you want. You can't choose a a career path just by picking based on favorable statistics. For example, a quick google tells me that the fastest growing career in the USA is "wind turbine service technician" at 108%. Is that information really helpful to you?
HaSnain145 said:
Yeah, you're right , I know it and am not picking only because of statistics. And I ask because to gather information about it , [So Somehow it may helped me]

Related to Need Guidance for choosing career

What is the first step to choosing a career?

The first step to choosing a career is to assess your interests, skills, and values. This will help you identify potential career paths that align with your strengths and passions.

How do I explore different career options?

There are several ways to explore different career options, such as conducting informational interviews, shadowing professionals, interning or volunteering in different industries, and researching job descriptions and requirements.

What resources can I use to help me choose a career?

There are many resources available to help you choose a career, including career counseling services, career assessments, job search websites, and networking events. Your school or university may also have career services to assist you.

Should I consider my salary when choosing a career?

While salary is an important factor to consider, it should not be the sole determining factor in choosing a career. It is important to also consider your interests, skills, and values to ensure long-term job satisfaction.

Is it normal to change careers multiple times?

Yes, it is very common for people to change careers multiple times in their lifetime. As you gain more experience and discover new interests, it is natural to reassess your career path and make changes that better align with your goals and values.