Need closed form for a Binomial series

In summary, the problem asks for the probability that a number of terminals will be polled until the first ready terminal is found. The problem can be solved by considering an absorbing state Markov chain.
issacnewton
Hello
I was solving a problem in probability. Here is the statement.
Seven terminals in an on-line system are attached to a communications line to the central computer. Exactly four of these terminals are ready to transmit a message. Assume that each terminal is equally likely to be in the ready state.Let ##X## be the random variable whose value is the number of terminals polled until the first ready terminal is located.
(a) What values may ##X## assume ?
(b) What is the probability that ##X## will assume each of these values? Assume that terminals are polled in a fixed sequence without repetition.
(c) Suppose the communication line has ##m## terminals attached of which ##n## are ready to transmit. Show that ##X## can assume only the values ##i=1,2,\cdots,m-n+1## with ##P[X =i] = \binom{m-i}[n-i}/\binom{m}{n}##. The problem is from the book Probability, Statistics, and Queueing Theory: With Computer Science Applications by Arnold Allen. The problem can be seen in this google book review. Now I have been able to solve this problem. Though its not asked here, wanted to find the ##E(X)## for case (c). So we would have $$\sum_{i=1}^{m-n+1}i \frac{\binom{m-i}[n-i}} {\binom{m}{n}}$$
I have not been able to get this into some nice closed form. Can anybody provide guidance ? Also there seems to be some problem with the latex command \binom{}{}. Its not working for me.

Physics news on Phys.org
IssacNewton said:
Also there seems to be some problem with the latex command \binom{}{}. Its not working for me.
You have a '[' before the n-i that should be a '{'.

$$P[X =i] = \binom{m-i}{n-i}/\binom{m}{n}$$
$$\sum_{i=1}^{m-n+1}i \frac{\binom{m-i}{n-i}} {\binom{m}{n}}$$

Last edited:
Thanks FactChecker. So do you have any idea how to do summation here. Any closed form ?

IssacNewton said:
Thanks FactChecker. So do you have any idea how to do summation here. Any closed form ?
Nope. I don't see any way to simplify it (other than possibly factoring out the denominator). If I had Maple or something that could do symbolic math, I might experiment a little, but I don't have Maple.

IssacNewton said:

The problem can instead by interpreted as an absorbing state Markov Chain. Consider using the expression:

##E[X] \approx \frac{m}{n} = \frac{1}{\frac{n}{m}}##

Technically this is an upper bound. If you have a lot of terminals, and a 'semi balanced' mix of working and non-working ones, then this becomes an extremely tight bound that approximates the answer.

If you are concerned with a small number of terminals, you could tighten the bound using a finite geometric series setup where ##p = 1 - \frac{n}{m}##, and ##E[X] \approx \frac{1-p^{m-n+1}}{1-p}## but I find the earlier expression rather nicer, and note that in the limit they are the same.

- - - -
Note the summation and probabilities written by isaacNewton and FactChecker have a typo in it that makes the probabilities not sum to one. It should read:

##\sum_{i=1}^{m-n+1}i \frac{\binom{m-i}{n-1}} {\binom{m}{n}}##

Where we have n - 1 not n - i in the binomial coefficient in the numerator.

Likes FactChecker
StoneTemplePython, thanks for pointing out the mistake of ##n-i##. Your explanation about the bounds makes sense. I will have to modify my solution now, as I was helping a student.

Related to Need closed form for a Binomial series

1. What is a Binomial series?

A Binomial series is a mathematical expression that represents a polynomial expansion of the form (a + b)^n, where n is a positive integer and a and b are constants. It is commonly used in statistics, probability, and algebra.

2. Why do we need a closed form for a Binomial series?

A closed form for a Binomial series allows us to express the entire series in a compact and simplified form. This can be helpful in solving problems, making calculations, and finding patterns within the series.

3. How do you find the closed form for a Binomial series?

The closed form for a Binomial series can be found by using the Binomial theorem, which states that (a + b)^n = ∑(n choose k) * a^(n-k) * b^k, where k ranges from 0 to n. This formula allows us to find the coefficients of each term in the series and write the series in a compact form.

4. What is the significance of a Binomial series in mathematics?

Binomial series are important in mathematics because they can be used to approximate many other functions, such as trigonometric functions, logarithms, and exponential functions. They also have applications in probability, statistics, and calculus.

5. Are there any special cases in which a closed form for a Binomial series cannot be found?

Yes, there are certain cases where the Binomial theorem cannot be applied to find a closed form for a Binomial series. For example, if the exponent n is not a positive integer, or if the constants a and b are not real numbers, then the Binomial theorem cannot be used and alternative methods must be used to find a closed form.