Need assistance with Gen Chem problem

In summary, the conversation is about calculating normality and a specific problem involving a titration of a NaOH solution with KHP. The formula for normality is given, but the volume of the acid is unknown. The known values are the normality and volume of the base. The person is struggling with how to calculate the volume of the acid and is seeking help from others. The conversation also touches on the topic of missing information in the given problem.
RGH
It has been a long while since I have had to calculate normality. If I remember correctly the formula for normality is:

N=g/(equiv wt x Vol) or NAcidVAcid=NBaseVBase

The known values given are the normality of the base and the volume of the base. Since the normality of the acid is the desired unknown, I am guessing the volume of the acid is given; however I am struggling on how to calculate it. I know I am making this much harder than it should be, but any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Well here is the problem.

What is the normality of a NaOH solution if a titration requires 35.17 ml of the solution to neutralize 0.8591 g of KHP? N of NaOH = 0.10.

Thank you,

Physics news on Phys.org
How many moles of KHP? How is that related to NaVa?

You wanted to put this in "Other Sci." in "Homework Help," or in "Chemistry" in the main forum list --- "the next available mod will take care of that for you."

Sorry about putting this in the wrong thread; however, the problem does seem to be missing information (right?). It was one made by the lab TA. I don't think it is solveable. I don't think I forgot to copy something down. Thanks for trying to help though. I am going to bother the TA about it tomorrow.

RGH said:
Sorry about putting this in the wrong thread; however, the problem does seem to be missing information (right?).

The TA didn't do your library, or handbook, work for you, but all the information's there --- you can look up MW/FW for KHP.

Related to Need assistance with Gen Chem problem

1) What is the best approach to solving a Gen Chem problem?

The best approach to solving a Gen Chem problem is to first carefully read and understand the problem, identify the given information and what is being asked, and then use the appropriate formulas and concepts to solve the problem step by step.

2) How can I improve my understanding of Gen Chem concepts?

One way to improve your understanding of Gen Chem concepts is to actively engage in class discussions and take thorough notes. You can also practice solving a variety of problems and seek help from your instructor or a tutor if needed.

3) I am struggling with balancing chemical equations. What can I do?

Balancing chemical equations can be challenging, but the key is to first identify the elements and their states on both sides of the equation. Then, use coefficients to balance the number of atoms on each side. Practicing with different types of equations and using online resources for guidance can also be helpful.

4) How do I know which units to use in a Gen Chem problem?

In a Gen Chem problem, units are often given or can be derived from the given information. It is important to make sure all units are consistent throughout the problem and to convert them if necessary using conversion factors.

5) Can you recommend any resources for additional help with Gen Chem?

There are many resources available to help with Gen Chem, such as online tutorials, practice problems, and study guides. Your instructor may also be able to recommend specific resources that align with your course material. Additionally, forming a study group with classmates can be beneficial in understanding and solving problems together.