Need a search note for those not registered

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter brooknorton
  • Start date
In summary, registering on the Forum allows access to the "Search" option at the top of the screen. However, it would be helpful for newcomers if there was a note explaining that searching is disabled until registration. Adding the "site:" parameter to a Google search query can also limit the search to the PF domain. This may help with frustrations around the forum's own search function.
brooknorton
I registered today after nearly giving up on trying to figure out how to search a Forum. Once I registered, a "Search" option appeared at the top of the screen.

What is needed is a note in plain view that says searching is disabled until you register, or some similar logic to let an unregister newcomer understand how to search.

As it is, the first thing a visitor experiences is total frustration at the apparent inabilty to search.

Thanks, Brook Norton

Physics news on Phys.org
brooknorton said:
I registered today after nearly giving up on trying to figure out how to search a Forum. Once I registered, a "Search" option appeared at the top of the screen.

What is needed is a note in plain view that says searching is disabled until you register, or some similar logic to let an unregister newcomer understand how to search.

As it is, the first thing a visitor experiences is total frustration at the apparent inabilty to search.

Thanks, Brook Norton

Welcome to the PF!

Sorry you had that frustration. I'll let others comment on possible ways to address it on the PF.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just add site:physicsforums.com to your google search query.

Actually, you can add site: parameter to every query to limit search to this particular domain. Works also with top level domains (so for example site:de will search only German sites with domain addresses ending in .de).

When I want to search all of PF I usually use Google with the "site:" modifier. The forum's own search function is a bit erratic. I use it only when I want to restrict searches to a specific forum.

Related to Need a search note for those not registered

1. What is a search note for those not registered?

A search note for those not registered is a document or note that contains important information about a person who is not officially registered in a particular system or database. It is typically used to track and keep records of individuals who are not members or users of a specific platform or service.

2. Why is a search note needed for those not registered?

A search note is needed for those not registered in order to keep track of important information about individuals who may be using or accessing a system or service without being officially registered. This helps to ensure the security and safety of the system, as well as track usage and potential issues that may arise.

3. How is a search note created for those not registered?

A search note for those not registered is typically created by a system administrator or individual responsible for maintaining the database. The note may include details such as the individual's name, contact information, reason for accessing the system, and any relevant notes or observations.

4. Can a search note be shared with others?

Yes, a search note for those not registered can be shared with others who have the proper authorization and access to the system or database. However, it is important to ensure that the information is only shared with individuals who have a legitimate need to know.

5. How long is a search note kept for those not registered?

The duration for which a search note for those not registered is kept may vary depending on the specific system or organization. In most cases, the note will be kept for as long as the individual is using or accessing the system, and may be deleted or archived once they are no longer active. It is important to follow any applicable laws and regulations regarding data retention and privacy.