Natural units in the Schwarzschild Metric

In summary, the teacher is discussing the Schwarzschild metric in natural units, where he uses the equation ##g_{rr}=1-2M/R##. He mentions that for a neutron star, a value of ##R=5## corresponds to approximately 13 kilometers. The student is unsure if this value is in terms of the Planck length, but the teacher does not provide further information. To evaluate this, the student considers the equation ##1-2GM/(c^2R)## and plugs in the values for ##c## and ##R##, but realizes that ##G## is missing. The student then simplifies the units and remembers that in natural units, ##G/c^2## is equal to
PeteSampras

Homework Statement

My Teacher says that in the Schwarzschild metric he uses natural units, where he writes
##g_{rr}=1-2M/R##
He says that for one neutron star ##R=5## corresponds to approx 13 KM.

Homework Equations

##1l_p=1,616 \cdot 10^{-35}m##

The Attempt at a Solution

Unfortunately he does not says me (perhaps with a litle of arrogance) if ##R=5 l_p## or not...

But, if evaluate ( from ##1-2GM/(c^2R)##)

##c^2R=(3 \cdot 10^8)^2 \cdot 5 l_p=##

##(3 \cdot 10^8 m/s)^2 \cdot 5 \cdot 1,616 \cdot 10^{-35}m=##

##7,272 \cdot 10^{-18} m^3/s^2##

But I don't know what my teacher want to say "your R=5 is similar to 13KM". More information he does not want to give me.

Help please

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is purely relativity, there is no Planck length involved.

It would be better to say R=5M. A black hole has its event horizon at R=2M (the point where grr gets 0), so R=5M is well outside that.

PeteSampras said:

Homework Statement

My Teacher says that in the Schwarzschild metric he uses natural units, where he writes
##g_{rr}=1-2M/R##
He says that for one neutron star ##R=5## corresponds to approx 13 KM.

Homework Equations

##1l_p=1,616 \cdot 10^{-35}m##

The Attempt at a Solution

Unfortunately he does not says me (perhaps with a litle of arrogance) if ##R=5 l_p## or not...

But, if evaluate ( from ##1-2GM/(c^2R)##)

##c^2R=(3 \cdot 10^8)^2 \cdot 5 l_p=##
Why is ##l_p## there and what happened to ##G##?

Try plugging in the values and simplifying the units on ##G/c^2##. And then remember that in natural units, you're setting ##G/c^2## equal to 1.

Related to Natural units in the Schwarzschild Metric

1. What are natural units in the Schwarzschild Metric?

Natural units in the Schwarzschild Metric are a system of units used in the study of general relativity and black holes. They are based on fundamental constants such as the speed of light and the gravitational constant, and are used to simplify calculations and equations.

2. How are natural units related to the Schwarzschild Metric?

Natural units are used in the Schwarzschild Metric because they allow for the simplification of equations and calculations involving the extreme conditions of a black hole. They eliminate the need for conversion factors and allow for a clearer understanding of the physical concepts involved.

3. What are the advantages of using natural units in the Schwarzschild Metric?

The main advantage of using natural units in the Schwarzschild Metric is the simplification of calculations and equations. They also provide a more intuitive understanding of the physical concepts involved in the study of black holes and general relativity.

4. Can natural units be used in other areas of physics besides the Schwarzschild Metric?

Yes, natural units can be used in other areas of physics, such as quantum mechanics and particle physics. They are a useful tool for simplifying equations and understanding fundamental physical concepts.

5. How are natural units determined in the Schwarzschild Metric?

Natural units in the Schwarzschild Metric are determined by setting the fundamental constants, such as the speed of light and the gravitational constant, to be equal to 1. This simplifies the equations and allows for a clearer understanding of the physical concepts involved.