Natural Frequency Using Rayleighs Energy Method

In summary, the author is looking for help with understanding Rayleighs Energy Method and calculating static deflections/natural frequencies. He has read about the method and understands how it works, but does not know how to calculate deflections due to the masses. He has also looked at other methods, but they are more complicated. If anybody can help him, they would be greatly appreciated.
j1mb0b
Hi everybody!

I'm a complete newbie here, but I was hoping somebody might be able to help me out with understanding Rayleighs Energy Method and how to calculate the static deflections/natural frequencies.

I am basically looking for the first and second modes/natural frequencies of a 2 mass shaft supported on 2 bearings situated between the masses. So the masses are overhanging either side of the bearing assemblies. The equivalent diagram that I have assumed is shown below:

2a4scbb.jpg

So I have read that Rayleighs Energy Method is a good first approximation for this. I have had a look at it and I can understand how it works, but I can't calculate the deflections due to the masses, as I am not sure of the formula.

Here is a similar system that I have looked at, but unfortunately the formulae are much simpler as the masses/distances are symmetrical...

dfkq2w.jpg

I have also had a go at doing it using these formulae:

30nd6iu.jpg

But again, they do not relate specifically to the mass system I am analysing with two overhanging masses.

So if anybody can help me out or atleast point me in the right direction as to how to calculate the deflections and the natural frequencies I would really appreciate it. Or even if there is a much better/more understandable way of doing this, I would love to hear about it. It's been years since I did engineering mechanics in college, and the cobwebs are impeding my memory!

Oh, by the way, I know it's quite a small system, and because of this I am expecting quite a high natural frequency! (Hopefully 1500Hz+)

All comments welcome! :smile:

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot to mention that I have the material properties and dimensions of the mass for (E,I...etc) for the deflection calculations. I just didn't post them as I would rather do the calculations myself if somebody could help me along the way!

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Thanks! EDIT2: I have had a look at some other methods, such as Lagrange's equations, but they seem to be even more complicated than Rayleighs Energy Method (at least from what I can tell). So any help with the Rayleighs Method would be greatly appreciated!

Related to Natural Frequency Using Rayleighs Energy Method

1. What is the concept of natural frequency?

The natural frequency of a system is the frequency at which it vibrates the most with minimum external force applied. It is an inherent property of the system and is dependent on its mass, stiffness, and damping.

2. How is Rayleigh's Energy Method used to calculate natural frequency?

Rayleigh's Energy Method is a technique used to approximate the natural frequency of a system by considering its potential and kinetic energy. The method involves equating the potential energy and kinetic energy of the system and solving for the natural frequency.

3. What are the advantages of using Rayleigh's Energy Method?

One advantage of using Rayleigh's Energy Method is that it provides a quick and simple approximation of the natural frequency of a system. It also allows for the inclusion of both linear and nonlinear terms in the analysis, making it applicable to a wide range of systems.

4. Can Rayleigh's Energy Method be used for any type of system?

No, Rayleigh's Energy Method is most commonly used for systems with a single degree of freedom, where the motion is primarily in one direction. It is also applicable to systems with multiple degrees of freedom, but the calculations become more complex.

5. How accurate is Rayleigh's Energy Method in predicting natural frequency?

The accuracy of Rayleigh's Energy Method depends on the complexity of the system and the level of approximation used. It is generally a good estimation for simple systems, but for more complex systems, it may result in a significant error. It is always recommended to validate the results with other analytical or experimental methods.