NASA Institute for Advanced Concepts

In summary, Rainman is a mathematics professor at a university and he is working on a book that will be about system information architectures. He also supports the direction NASA is taking with their funding.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
The subject came up in another thread.

http://www.niac.usra.edu/

http://www.niac.usra.edu/files/library/misc/

What they have funded.

http://www.niac.usra.edu/files/library/misc/Overview_for_AIAA_TC.pdf

Highlights of CP 01-02 (from Overview_for_AIAA_TC.pdf)
NIAC is particularly interested in receiving proposals for innovative and visionary concepts from disciplines that are normally focused on non-aerospace endeavors and may have the potential for innovative application in the aerospace sector. These concepts may be emerging at the interface of traditional disciplines where innovation often springs forth in non-aerospace fields.

NIAC is specifically NOT interested in concepts that, for example, would:
•Continue the development of technology concepts that by their very nature, are narrowly focused
on the development and performance of subsystems or components;
•Develop a new specialized instrument;
•Develop a new, high performance material;
•Incrementally extend the performance of an aerospace system orpreviously studied concept;
•Accomplish an incremental system development, technology demonstration, or other supporting
development program that is closely linked to an existing NASA program or mission and
would be a near-term progression of the existing program or mission;
Develop a concept that is solely based on technically unsubstantiated science fiction;
•Develop a program or workshop plan with no specifically described architecture or system;
•Solely perform research experiments with no connection to an overall architecture or system.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Innovative Systems Architecture

Hello Astronuc, Engineering Guru!

Astronuc said:
The subject came up in another thread.

http://www.niac.usra.edu/

http://www.niac.usra.edu/files/library/misc/

What they have funded.

http://www.niac.usra.edu/files/library/misc/Overview_for_AIAA_TC.pdf

Highlights of CP 01-02 (from Overview_for_AIAA_TC.pdf)
•Solely perform research experiments with no connection to an overall architecture or system.

I agree with NASA's direction on this. What they really need are innovative system architecture concepts that will be able to handle the massively non-linear information base associated with all of its complex tasks associated with developing systems to return to the Moon and move on to Mars.

There is actually a mathematical model I have developed, in the language of vectors and tensors, which applies to system information architectures and how they need to be analyzed and developed "orthogonally" just as we develop dynamical systems according to 3-dimensional orthogonal physical dynamics.

The 3 orthogonal dimensions of metrics associated with any generalized system can be classified as:

Operational Dimension - Time and Frequency Based Performance Measures.

Functional Dimension - Transform and Function Based Peformance Measures.

Physical Dimension - Physical Characteristic Measures of the System and the Physical Environment that if operates within.

I have developed an orthogonal tensor set math that overlays these 3 system performance domains. It is also the subject of a SE development book that I am working on as part of my university teaching engagements.

In summary, I am a big proponent of systems theory and development of coherent system information architectures to help us define future capabilities. After all, there is hardly any arguing that we live in the Information Age!

Rainman

Last edited by a moderator:

I find this very interesting and refreshing. It's great to see that NIAC is open to new and innovative ideas from non-aerospace fields. It shows that they are open-minded and willing to explore new possibilities in the aerospace sector. I also appreciate that they have specific criteria for what they are not interested in funding, as it helps to guide potential applicants in their proposals. It seems like NIAC is really focused on pushing the boundaries and thinking outside the box, which is crucial for progress and advancement in any field. I'm curious to see what kind of innovative concepts have been funded by NIAC and how they have contributed to the aerospace industry.

Related to NASA Institute for Advanced Concepts

What is the NASA Institute for Advanced Concepts (NIAC)?

The NASA Institute for Advanced Concepts (NIAC) is a research program created by NASA to support the development of revolutionary aerospace technologies.

Who can apply for NIAC funding?

NIAC funding is open to any individual or team with a compelling idea for a revolutionary aerospace technology, regardless of their affiliation or background.

What types of projects are funded by NIAC?

NIAC funds a wide range of projects, including but not limited to propulsion systems, advanced materials, and human space exploration concepts.

How are proposals evaluated for NIAC funding?

NIAC proposals are evaluated based on their scientific and technical merit, potential impact on future space exploration, and feasibility of the proposed technology.

What are the benefits of receiving NIAC funding?

NIAC funding provides researchers with the resources and support needed to turn their innovative ideas into reality. It also allows them to connect with other experts in the field and receive guidance from NASA scientists and engineers.