Nano Technology: The Future of Today

• Thread starter Mohendra Roy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Future Nano
In summary, nano refers to the unit of length=10^-9 and is being used in nano technology to manipulate and control the microstructures and composition of materials. The recent hype surrounding nanotechnology has created myths and misconceptions, but it is simply an enabling technology that allows us to manipulate matter at the nano scale. This technology has the potential to change both mechanical and optical properties of materials, and can even allow for the manipulation of light. The fields of nanotechnology and condensed matter physics have the potential to interact in interesting ways, which could lead to even more advancements in this area.
Mohendra Roy
Today wherever you go u will find people talking about nanao. now what is nano? Nano is the unit of length=10^-9. in nano technology it is the collection of atoms having dimention in nano range. Almost all the property of the particle changes to that of the bulk.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nano refers to submicron. In polycrystalline materials, e.g. metals or ceramics, grains are on the order of several microns. In nano-engineering, materials engineers/scientists are trying to 'manipulate' or control the grain microstructures and grain bounday composition and morphology.

This past week, I saw some interesting presentations on nano-engineering of structural materials this week, including 'grain boundary engineering' for improved mechanical and corrosion performance by reducing the 'mis-orientations' or mis-fits at grain boundaries.

Its not just the mechanical properties that can be changed, the optical properties can also be tweaked by changing the shape of nanoparticles, for example gold nanorods will absorb and scatter light differently to gold nanospheres.

This is essentially because the plasmon resonances in a nanoparticle are entirely surface resonances (no bulk resonances), which are very sensitive to the surrounding environment.

Claude.

Nano Hype

I was preparing a presentation the other day and i cam across a paper by IOP which was quite good one. Its not that Nano Industry is another industry just like computers, rather its an enabling tech just like transistors which can be used to make up anything. The recent hype is similar to the dotcom bubble and it has created myths for many people. Fact of the matter is that it just alllows us the ability to manipulate the matter at nano matter scael and nothing else.

Sorry, can't help it, slightly OT but I think I should share this about nano as prefix for units.

Apart from the nanometer getting more important, we also have the bananometer, being the unit of distance defined as the distance covered between tripping over a banano peel and hitting the ground. Also, bananosecond, defined as the time frame in which this happens.

Claude Bile said:
Its not just the mechanical properties that can be changed, the optical properties can also be tweaked by changing the shape of nanoparticles, for example gold nanorods will absorb and scatter light differently to gold nanospheres.

This is essentially because the plasmon resonances in a nanoparticle are entirely surface resonances (no bulk resonances), which are very sensitive to the surrounding environment.

Claude.

This makes me think nanotech's should get together with the people who just recently froze light in a condensate.

I'm starting to think condensates are the future.

Pythagorean said:
This makes me think nanotech's should get together with the people who just recently froze light in a condensate.

I'm starting to think condensates are the future.

Whats your source of "frozen light" information?

3trQN said:
Whats your source of "frozen light" information?

ah yes, apologies... form harvard:

http://www.hno.harvard.edu/gazette/2001/01.24/01-stoplight.html

Last edited by a moderator:
What a great time to bring that up. I'm at the cusp of going to grad school for something and I'm torn between condensates and nano. :/

Are you guys talking about molecular nanotechnology (MNT, a la Drexler, Merkle, Freitas) or something else?

Signifier said:
Are you guys talking about molecular nanotechnology (MNT, a la Drexler, Merkle, Freitas)

Sure, those are some of the popular names.

But, so far, nanotechnology seems to include only fermionic structures (chemistry), and has not yet included bosonic structures (condensed matter physics).

If the two fields can interact in an interesting ways, that would be chic.

Pythagorean said:
ah yes, apologies... form harvard:

http://www.hno.harvard.edu/gazette/2001/01.24/01-stoplight.html
That's a pretty interesting article. At first I thought it was a joke, but it seems to be serious. Especially the part about publishing in Nature.

That article is from 2001, and the latest that I can find about this is from 2002. Does anybody know what the latest status of that project is? The part where the light re-emits going the *same* direction from the cloud is pretty amazing if true.

Just a few weeks ago, an article about reversing and accelerating the speed of light through meta-materials.

http://www.external.ameslab.gov/final/News/2006rel/metamaterials.htm

AMES, IA – Physicist Costas Soukoulis and his research group at the U.S. Department of Energy’s Ames Laboratory on the Iowa State University campus are having the time of their lives making light travel backwards at negative speeds that appear faster than the speed of light.

Some videos too.

berkeman said:
That's a pretty interesting article. At first I thought it was a joke, but it seems to be serious. Especially the part about publishing in Nature.

That article is from 2001, and the latest that I can find about this is from 2002. Does anybody know what the latest status of that project is? The part where the light re-emits going the *same* direction from the cloud is pretty amazing if true.

I did a little more research and found this, last updated 2003:

"Dr. Hau’s scientific and service contributions have been recognized through honors that include the MacArthur Fellow 2001-2006;"

I'm assuming that once the grant money runs out (some time this year) she'll release results for refinancing. I have very little knowledge of science financing, so this is just an undergraduate's assumption.

Mickey said:

But, so far, nanotechnology seems to include only fermionic structures (chemistry), and has not yet included bosonic structures (condensed matter physics).

I agree. I don't really know enough about either field to fully comprehend the meaning of this assertion, but it sounds very appealing.

Mickey said:

Er... since when is "fermionic structures" implies chemistry and "bosonic structures" is condensed matter physics?

Have you looked at the section where nanoscience papers are published in Phys. Rev. Lett.?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Er... since when is "fermionic structures" implies chemistry and "bosonic structures" is condensed matter physics?

An online particle physics tutorial and other sources I've read have associated them this way. Fermions obey Pauli-exclusion and allow the creation of ordinary matter and bosons don't and form condensed matter.

I understand it's not a strict pairing, since some molecules have additive integer spin and exhibit some bosonic behavior. Sorry, I should have realized that that was poorly worded. :redface:

Have you looked at the section where nanoscience papers are published in Phys. Rev. Lett.?

Do you mean the "Atomic, Molecular, and Optical Physics" section? I've been looking for physical "nanoscience" articles for a while now, and I'm starting to get the impression that physicists aren't especially fond of the word.

Last edited:
Mickey said:
An online particle physics tutorial and other sources I've read have associated them this way. Fermions obey Pauli-exclusion and allow the creation of ordinary matter and bosons don't and form condensed matter.

I understand it's not a strict pairing, since some molecules have additive integer spin and exhibit some bosonic behavior. Sorry, I should have realized that that was poorly worded. :redface:
Do you mean the "Atomic, Molecular, and Optical Physics" section? I've been looking for physical "nanoscience" articles for a while now, and I'm starting to get the impression that physicists aren't especially fond of the word.

You need to be more careful with the terminology. "Condensed matter physics" is a FIELD of study in physics. "Condensates" or "BE condensation" is a state of matter due to bosons. These two are NOT the same thing.

http://www.physicspost.com/science-article-209.html

Zz.

Ohhh, I see. Not "BE condensates," though, because that's redundant? Thank you for that post and the link to Coleman's paper.

So, do you know of any interesting links between BE condensation and nanoscience?

Mickey said:
Ohhh, I see. Not "BE condensates," though, because that's redundant?

No, it isn't. You obviously missed the recent discovery of Fermionic condensates.

Zz.

Really, I didn't know it was that obvious.

Those question marks in the last row of Colemen's broken symmetry table are pretty exciting, btw.

Last edited:
ZapperZ said:
You need to be more careful with the terminology. "Condensed matter physics" is a FIELD of study in physics. "Condensates" or "BE condensation" is a state of matter due to bosons. These two are NOT the same thing.

http://www.physicspost.com/science-article-209.html

Zz.

so what field of study is Condensates in? I always thought Plasma Physics was its own field and so since Condensates are yet a fifth state of matter (plasma being the fourth) it was natural for me to assume that Condensates are its own field by now.

Pythagorean said:
so what field of study is Condensates in? I always thought Plasma Physics was its own field and so since Condensates are yet a fifth state of matter (plasma being the fourth) it was natural for me to assume that Condensates are its own field by now.

BE condensates straddle both condensed matter and atomic/molecular/optics field. This is why you see such subject matter being presented at the APS March meetings.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
BE condensates straddle both condensed matter and atomic/molecular/optics field. This is why you see such subject matter being presented at the APS March meetings.

Zz.

If there's no program complimentar to condensates at my University, what do you think the chances of starting one are. There's at least two of us undergrads interested in condensates, and we've haven't started scoping out admin/faculty/staff yet, but that's a different story.

I'm more interested in what kind of national/state support I could get in Alaska. I'm under the impression that condensates are the new hot topic in physics.

Just a reminder, Pyth, that this thread is about nanoscale physics.

You might want to start a new thread in A&CG exploring specific questions of teaching certain advanced physics courses (like BECs) in undergraduate programs.

Related to Nano Technology: The Future of Today

What is nanotechnology?

Nanotechnology is a branch of science and technology that deals with the manipulation and control of matter on a nanoscale, typically ranging from 1 to 100 nanometers. It involves the study and application of materials, devices, and systems at the atomic and molecular level.

How does nanotechnology work?

Nanotechnology works by manipulating and controlling individual atoms and molecules to create new materials and devices with unique properties and functions. This is achieved through various techniques such as self-assembly, nanolithography, and molecular beam epitaxy.

What are the potential applications of nanotechnology?

Nanotechnology has a wide range of potential applications in fields such as medicine, electronics, energy, and environmental science. It could lead to advances in targeted drug delivery, more efficient solar panels, stronger and lighter materials, and pollution control, among others.

What are the potential risks of nanotechnology?

Some potential risks of nanotechnology include the potential toxicity of nanoparticles, ethical concerns surrounding the use of nanotechnology in warfare, and the potential for nanotechnology to disrupt existing industries and job markets. However, extensive research and regulations are in place to minimize these risks.

What is the current state of nanotechnology research?

Nanotechnology is a rapidly advancing field with numerous ongoing research projects and developments. Scientists are continuously exploring new applications, improving techniques, and addressing potential risks. While there is still much to learn, nanotechnology has already made significant strides and has the potential to transform many industries in the future.