Naming the Solutions for x tan(x) = k: Inventing Our Own Notations?

• Thread starter ianbell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inverse
So Beta sub 0 (y) is identically zero.In summary, The function f(x) = x tan(x) does not have a commonly accepted name or notation for its solutions to x tan(x) = k for integer k. However, there have been suggestions such as Galumba-floop numbers and Office_Shredder numbers, as well as the proposed k-th Bellian function of y, denoted as Beta sub k (y). The unique solution for k=0 is identically zero.
ianbell
Does the function f(x) = x tan(x) have a name? I am particularly interested in the solutions to x tan(x) = k for integer k. Do these numbers have an accepted name or notation?

TIA.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Galumba-floop numbers, perhaps?
In other words, you are free to invent your own names.

They're actually called the Office_Shredder numbers, in honor of the great mathematician Office_Shredder, who discovered a numerical approximation for their solution in 1972.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. Why do you need to know?

arildno said:
In other words, you are free to invent your own names.

Oh well in that case, in the absence of provenance for the Office-Shredder claim, I dub the unique solution to x tan(x)=y in
[(k-half)pi,(k+half)pi] for nonzero integer k to be the k-th Bellian function of y.
Written capital Beta sub k (y) to distinguish from the Bessel and Bell and , er, Beta functions.

For k=0 we have two equal and opposite solutions for y>0 and none for y<0.

Related to Naming the Solutions for x tan(x) = k: Inventing Our Own Notations?

1. What is the equation for X tan(x)?

The equation for X tan(x) is simply x tan(x), where x is the variable and tan(x) represents the tangent function.

2. What is the inverse of X tan(x)?

The inverse of X tan(x) is arctan(x), also known as the inverse tangent function. This means that arctan(x) will "undo" the effect of X tan(x) and return the original value of x.

3. What is the domain of X tan(x)?

The domain of X tan(x) is all real numbers except for values where tan(x) is undefined, which occurs at every odd multiple of π/2 (e.g. π/2, 3π/2, 5π/2, etc.).

4. What is the range of X tan(x)?

The range of X tan(x) is all real numbers. However, since the tangent function has vertical asymptotes at every odd multiple of π/2, the range will have gaps at these points.

5. How is X tan(x) used in real-world applications?

X tan(x) is used in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. It is commonly used to model oscillations, such as the motion of a pendulum or the voltage fluctuations in an AC circuit. It is also used in trigonometric identities and in solving various mathematical problems.