Name of the movement of a wheel

In summary, the movement of the point on the circumference of a wheel that touches the floor is called a cycloid.
usrhlp
I would really like someone to answer this simple question.

I have searched the net and i cannot find the answer, i know i have only just read it but i can't remember where.

Basically all i want to know is the name of the movement of a while when it is moving a vehicle (i don't mean around in a circle, it's the one where it arches over on each movement, like crawling when you drag your arms back, they remain still but your body moves forwards).

Also can you show me a website that explains it? Just the website that explained would be fine but if you can explain it here i will be more than grateful.

Thanks
Dean

Engineering news on Phys.org
Vertically, its simple harmonic motion. http://schutz.ucsc.edu/~josh/5A/book/harmonic/node9.html is a diagram. I'm not sure if the horizontal motion has a name.

Edit: I guess horizontally, its also harmonic, but with a positive displacement. Take the sine or cosine graph and add 1.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you sir, that is almost what i was looking for, it isn't exactly it but it may help me find what i need!

Im mainly thinking about the movement of the part of the wheel that touches the floor.

ill draw a picture and upload it if i can. Dont laugh at my van gogh artist skills! :smile:

Basically I am interested in the Red point of the wheel in that diagram. What is that motion / path of that point of the wheel called when it turns round and drives a machine?

I hope the picture can help explain what i am trying to get at! :)

Attachments

• wheel path.JPG
    wheel path.JPG
    5.2 KB · Views: 661
That looks a bit like a sin^2 graph to me.

If you plotted y= (sinx)^2 then you would get something very similar to that..

Petrushka, I believe the curve you are looking for is a cycloid. A cycloid is the path traced out by a point on the circumference of a moving wheel. For points inside and outside the wheel, you get epi- and hypo-cycloids.

Absolutely BANG ON THE MONEY!
thank you sir!
i owe you a few drinks! :smile:

its circular motion + linear motion to get the displacement

usrhlp said:
Absolutely BANG ON THE MONEY!
thank you sir!
i owe you a few drinks! :smile:

I'm known for not refusing such offers :-p

Related to Name of the movement of a wheel

1. What is the name of the movement of a wheel?

The name of the movement of a wheel is rotation.

2. How does a wheel rotate?

A wheel rotates when a force is applied to it, causing it to turn around an axis or center point.

3. What is the purpose of a wheel's movement?

The movement of a wheel allows for the efficient transfer of motion and energy from one point to another, making it useful for transportation and machinery.

4. Can a wheel move in any direction?

No, a wheel can only move in a circular motion along its axis of rotation.

5. Are there different types of wheel movement?

Yes, there are different types of wheel movement such as rolling, spinning, and sliding, each with its own unique characteristics and applications.