Mystery of the Microwave Fan Noise Solved?

In summary, after much speculation and confusion, the mystery of the microwave fan noise has been solved. It turns out that the noise is caused by the fan's motor, which is designed to cool the microwave while in use. The frequency of the noise is dependent on the size and power of the microwave, and can vary from model to model. While some may find the noise bothersome, it is a normal and necessary function of the microwave.
jobyts
First I thought of posting this on the random thoughts thread, but I need an answer to this bugging question.

Why the hell a microwave (the cooking device) makes that fanlike noise? While an infrared device (electric heater), visible light device (a flashlight), x-ray machine do not make any sound. My microwave does not have a turn table, so, the mechanical movement is ruled out.

Physics news on Phys.org
The noise is from the fan that is used to cool the magnetron.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_the_components_in_a_microwave_oven"

Last edited by a moderator:
and to remove heat from the cooking area...

take one apart sometime

rewebster said:
and to remove heat from the cooking area...

take one apart sometime

...and moisture.

why does it have to remove heat and moisture from the cooking area?

stick a potato in your microwave for 30 minutes---

when the buzzer goes off---check to see if its hot and how much moisture is left

You would not want to open the microwave door and have very hot steam hit you in the face, or hands.

rewebster said:
stick a potato in your microwave for 30 minutes---

when the buzzer goes off---check to see if its hot and how much moisture is left
30 minutes on high? It will probably burst into flames.

I can even feel the wind from my microwave coming from under it.

Evo said:
30 minutes on high? It will probably burst into flames.

LOL. I just remembered that I had a girlfriend who cooked a hot dog for 10 minutes once.
It ruined the plate and didn't do much for the hot dog either. I can only imagine what 30 minutes would have done. :rolleyes:

When I saw the title of this thread I was wondering why it is in the general discussion area and I got so excited because I thought it was about http://i16.tinypic.com/4v61kz8.jpg" microwave noise. :biggrin:

Microwaving a potato for 30 mins is dangerous! I ought to try that...good way to live on the edge:cool:

Borg said:
LOL. I just remembered that I had a girlfriend who cooked a hot dog for 10 minutes once.
It ruined the plate and didn't do much for the hot dog either. I can only imagine what 30 minutes would have done. :rolleyes:

That sounds a bit like the guys who lived in the other half of the dorm I lived in for college. Our side was all women, and their side was co-ed (two colleges sharing one building). The men on their side used to do things like cook popcorn for 10 minutes. :rolleyes: We never quite figured out if they were complete idiots or just wanted to see the women on our side exit in our nightclothes when they set off the smoke detectors. We pretty much chalked it up to a little of both since none of us was going to date such a moron. :smile:

This thread reminds me of a youtube "show" that I watch on occasion:

http://www.youtube.com/show/isitagoodideatomicrowavethis

They're in their 8th season. Pretty impressive. Here's a good example:

There is also the noise from the scattering mechanism which is a metal fan to scatter the microwaves more evenly. If you're worried, fetch a fluorescent light and test for leaks.

Moonbear said:
We pretty much chalked it up to a little of both since none of us was going to date such a moron. :smile:
:smile:

Related to Mystery of the Microwave Fan Noise Solved?

1. What is the cause of the microwave fan noise?

The main cause of the microwave fan noise is the motor that powers the fan. This motor is responsible for rotating the fan blades and circulating air within the microwave.

2. Why does the microwave fan noise vary in intensity?

The intensity of the microwave fan noise can vary due to several factors, such as the age and condition of the motor, the amount of dirt or debris on the fan blades, and the speed at which the fan is rotating.

3. Can the fan noise be fixed?

In most cases, the fan noise can be fixed by cleaning or replacing the fan motor. However, if the noise is caused by a malfunctioning motor, it may need to be replaced entirely.

4. Is the microwave fan noise harmful?

No, the microwave fan noise is not harmful. It is simply a byproduct of the fan motor and does not pose any health risks.

5. Can the microwave fan noise be prevented?

In some cases, the microwave fan noise can be prevented by regularly cleaning and maintaining the fan motor. However, if the noise is caused by a faulty motor, it may be difficult to prevent.