Mystery Calls from Quebec & Ontario

• Thread starter JamesU
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mystery
In summary, the conversation is about receiving random calls from Quebec, with a series of beeps, sometimes at midnight. The caller explains that the beeps are caused by their phone's signal getting scrambled and it is costing the recipient 30$/minute. The caller also mentions misdialing and connecting to a random person, and using a public line to avoid being charged for the call. They also mention using a blowhorn to scare off Canadian callers, but it is not recommended as it may be interpreted as the launch code for a nuclear bomb. The recipient jokes about setting off the nuke in NY, but the caller clarifies that they do not live there and do not care.
JamesU
Gold Member
for the past week or so, we've received random calls from quebec. sometimes at midnight. all these calls are are a series of beeps. well, today, I got the same call, except it was from ontario...

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, sorry 'bout that. Sometimes I misdial and connect to a random person instead of the CIA.

:rolleyes: can you explain the beeps?

oh that's just the signal getting scrambled by your phone. Don't worry about it, it's only costing you 30$/minute... rounded up.

I never a1nswer those calls :approve: I let them go to the answering machine. Don't worry about it, it's only costing you 30$/minute...

Well, seeing as I used a public line and routed the call through a DHS ISP they won't know who to charge. So, they might charge you, or they might let the cost slip, depending on the policy of your phone provider.

You mean you don't have a blowhorn? Whenever a Canadian calls here I say, "hold on just a second", and BAMMM!

I wouldn't recommend that. The receiver might interpret it as the launch code and you might set off the nuke in NY.

If all you get are beeps, how do you know the call is coming from Canada?

Set off the nuke in NY? pff I don't live in NY. I say let em die! :smile:

Related to Mystery Calls from Quebec & Ontario

What is the purpose of the "Mystery Calls from Quebec & Ontario" research?

The purpose of the research is to investigate and understand the phenomenon of mysterious phone calls that have been reported in Quebec and Ontario, Canada. These calls have been described as silent or containing strange noises, and their origin and purpose are still unknown.

What methods are being used to gather data for this research?

The research team is collecting data through various methods, such as surveys and interviews with individuals who have received these mystery calls. They are also analyzing phone records and investigating any potential technological or natural causes for the calls.

What are some potential explanations for these mystery calls?

There are several theories that have been proposed, including technical glitches, prank calls, or even paranormal phenomena. However, the research is still ongoing and no definitive explanation has been determined.

What impact could these mystery calls have on individuals who receive them?

The mystery calls can cause fear and anxiety in individuals who receive them, as the unknown origin and purpose of the calls can be unsettling. Some may also experience disrupted sleep or other negative effects on their well-being.

What are the potential implications of this research?

The findings of this research could have implications for telecommunications technology and security, as well as for individuals who have been affected by these mystery calls. It could also contribute to our understanding of human perception and reactions to unexplained phenomena.