What Does Cake by the Ocean Really Mean?

• Music
  • Thread starter ZapperZ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Music
In summary, the conversation discusses the infectiousness of DNCE's single "Cake by the Ocean" and how the meaning behind the title was misunderstood by the Swedish producer. The conversation ends with the speaker confessing their love for the song despite it being outside of their usual taste in music.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
I can't help it. DNCE's single "Cake by the Ocean" is just way to catchy for me to ignore.

When first heard it, not only was I moving to the music, but I kept wanting to figure out what "cake by the ocean" meant. To me, it was as cryptic (nonsensical?) as Jimmy Webb's "left my cake out in the rain" in MacArthur's Park.

Turns out, Joe Jonas had a hilarious explanation for it. His Swedish producer kept mis-translating "sex on the beach" into "cake by the ocean"! So they kept it! :)

Now I love the tune even more! :)

Zz.

Science news on Phys.org
I feel that way about the "Uncle Walter Waltzing with Bears" song:

UPDATE: Just saw Cake by the Ocean and we are definitely living different centuries. :-)

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
I confess that the upper half of my hearing is gone but I find myself repeatedly going back to this. Not so much guilty as odd for me given my tastes.

Related to What Does Cake by the Ocean Really Mean?

1. What is your newest music guilty pleasure?

My newest music guilty pleasure is the song "Drivers License" by Olivia Rodrigo.

2. What made you start listening to this song?

I heard this song on the radio and was immediately drawn to the emotional lyrics and catchy melody.

3. What genre is this song?

This song falls under the pop genre, with elements of indie pop and alternative music.

4. Who is the artist behind this song?

The artist behind this song is Olivia Rodrigo, a 17-year-old American singer and actress.

5. Can you recommend any other songs from this artist?

Yes, some other popular songs by Olivia Rodrigo include "Deja Vu" and "Good 4 U".

Back