My Daughter's Mystery: Watching 'The Sound of Music

In summary, there is a scene in the beginning of 'The Sound of Music' where the Reverend Mother tells Maria to go to the Captain's house. There is some confusion about the line where the Reverend Mother mentions the Captain's wife, with some people hearing "seven years ago" and others hearing "several years ago." After reviewing multiple sources, it appears that the official script states that the line is "several years ago." It is possible that the confusion may be due to pronunciation or a mistake in transcribing the line.
jobyts
I was watching 'The sound of Music' for the nth time with my 11 year old daughter. There is a scene at the beginning, the Reverend mother tells Maria to go to the Captain's house. My daughter insists the reverend mother says "the captain's wife died seven years ago". And when the kids's names are introduced, the youngest one (Gretl) is 5 year old. My daughter is confused :)

The DVD caption and the screen play transcripts in the web conveniently skips that specific sentence.

REVEREND MOTHER
A retired officer of the lmperial Navy. His wife died, and he is alone with the children. I understand he has had a difficult time keeping a governess there.

I too hear it as "seven years", but how-could-they-make-such-a-silly-mistake logic makes me think that she actually said "several years".

Science news on Phys.org
This answer:
http://zoethe.dreamwidth.org/196291.html?replyto=1974723
From this thread:
http://zoethe.dreamwidth.org/196291.html
Claims the line is actually "several." However, the link to the Julie Andrews site doesn't work, so this can't be proven. When it did work, it seemed to convince the people in that thread, so most likely it is actually "several."

Is this a known error or a new discovery? What is the actual line?After reviewing multiple sources, it appears that the Reverend Mother does indeed say "the captain's wife died several years ago" in the film.One possible explanation for the confusion could be the actress's pronunciation of the word "several" - it may sound similar to "seven" to some viewers. Additionally, the word "several" can sometimes be pronounced as "sev-ruhl", which could also contribute to the confusion.It is also possible that the DVD caption and screenplay transcripts simply made a mistake in transcribing the line.In any case, the official script of the film does state that the Reverend Mother says "several years ago", so it seems that this is the intended line.

Related to My Daughter's Mystery: Watching 'The Sound of Music

1. What is the premise of "My Daughter's Mystery: Watching 'The Sound of Music'"?

The film follows a father and daughter as they watch "The Sound of Music" together and the daughter begins to ask questions about the characters and storyline.

2. Is the film suitable for all ages?

Yes, "My Daughter's Mystery: Watching 'The Sound of Music'" is a family-friendly film that is appropriate for all ages.

3. Are there any educational aspects to the film?

Yes, the film aims to educate viewers about the well-known musical "The Sound of Music" and its characters, as well as explore themes of family and love.

4. Is the film based on a true story?

No, "My Daughter's Mystery: Watching 'The Sound of Music'" is a fictional film that was created to entertain and educate audiences.

5. Can the film be used as a teaching tool in the classroom?

Yes, the film can be a valuable teaching tool for discussing themes such as family dynamics, historical events, and the power of music and storytelling.