My Amazon Prime expires soon, recommend me something

• Thread starter QuarkCharmer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Prime
In summary: I would recommend that you buy books you know you will actually use and not just stockpile on the off chance that you might someday find a use for them. Spending money on unnecessary purchases just adds up. I don't think so, but I could be wrong.
QuarkCharmer
I need to do all the Physics-Book purchasing I can very soon! I have Mary Boa's book, Div Curl Grad and all that, and some others on the list. What else would be great to have?

I'm starting calc III and DEQ next semester (I have the textbooks already), and I am interested in Optics, Photonics, well, atomic theory in general. Even a really nice Chem book would work. I also like books along the lines of "Surely you're joking Mr. Feynman" and so on. Need to order soon!

Physics news on Phys.org
YOUR PRIME IS EXPIRING?!

Someone stick this thread!

Why don't you just renew your subscription to prime and save your money for when you really want something?

QuarkCharmer said:
I need to do all the Physics-Book purchasing I can very soon! I have Mary Boa's book, Div Curl Grad and all that, and some others on the list. What else would be great to have?

Buy only books you are sure they won't gather dust on shelves and you actually put to good use. Save the money you would spend on unnecessary purchases, they add up. They can be put on better use at a later date, when you may actually generate some income from them.

Im not advocating not spending on things which makes your life happier, or provide much needed social unwinding, but buy only what you will really use. Money are easier spent then made. If you don't know what would be great to have **you do not need it**.

You can save a lot of money by getting a used copy of the 2nd edition of Boas.

QuarkCharmer said:

I'm starting calc III and DEQ next semester (I have the textbooks already), and I am interested in Optics, Photonics, well, atomic theory in general. Even a really nice Chem book would work. I also like books along the lines of "Surely you're joking Mr. Feynman" and so on. Need to order soon!

How about the Feynman Lectures?

I would go for a new CRC Handbook...

41wT%2BMFlgvL._SS500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1439820775/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Or maybe, "The Art of Electronics" and "The Student Manual of..."

TheArtOfElectronics.jpg

artofestudent_LRG.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521370957/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
DanP, I wouldn't purchase anything that I thought would simply gather dust. I plan to get good use out of them. It was a trial period so shipping was free (2 day) and there is no way I will re-subscribe to the program. I just wanted to use the trial to get a bunch of things that I have been meaning to purchase.

So far:
Further Adventures of a Curious.., Feynman
6 Easy Pieces, Feynman
Demon Haunted World, C.Sagan
Boa's
Div Curl Grad...
Stewart's Calculus 7E

I'm still pissed about that Stewart book. Our university book store had the whole 6E (Not the volumes) advertised as "Covering Calc I, II, III ", touting it's savings over the individual volumes (and I'm not a big used book fan). Purchased it and all of a sudden "Hey we are going to use the new 7E stewart book! Which is THE SAME THING but the problems are mixed up and there is some extra stuff on ODE's and algebra or something. Total crap.

I have to midnight to decide and take advantage of all that free two-day shipping goodness.

Thanks!

You said you're interested in Optics, then check out for Hecht's book on Optics.
You said you already have the textbook for differential equations... what book do you have exactly? I can recommend the one of Boyce and Di Prima.

I'll look those up.

For DEQ, we use this crappy book:
A First Course in Differential Equations, Dennis G. Zill

I have the older edition of Boyce/Diprima that used to be a friends. (The one that isn't purple)

I love schaum!

Nothing better than having unlimited number of problems to solve :!)

(P.S. I am in Engineering so I tend to be bit practical about how to approach a subject i.e. start a problem and then go look for the information required to solve that problem)

By the way, Amazon.com has a "student prime", it's free to students with a .edu address. You don't get all the super sexah free streaming videos, but you do get the free 2-day shipping. Although to be honest, I have it and haven't really given it a good look-over so I'm not guaranteeing that the only thing you get is the free shipping.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Don't forget to buy via a PF link. PF gets 6% :)

Does buying from Amazon through PF provides you with gold membership after some quantum of purchase ?

DanP said:
Does buying from Amazon through PF provides you with gold membership after some quantum of purchase ?

If it nets PF $15+ I don't see why not :)

I didn't know that was an option or I would have used a PF link to make the purchase. Sorry :( Next time I'll do that. Is there a specific link we should use?

/You posted that like 20 minutes after I made the purchase.

Related to My Amazon Prime expires soon, recommend me something

1. What are some popular shows or movies on Amazon Prime?

Some popular shows and movies on Amazon Prime currently include "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel", "The Boys", "Fleabag", "The Grand Tour", and "Manchester by the Sea".

2. Are there any new releases on Amazon Prime that I should check out?

Yes, Amazon Prime regularly adds new releases to their streaming service. Some recent releases include "Borat Subsequent Moviefilm", "Uncle Frank", "Small Axe", and "Sound of Metal".

3. Can you recommend a good book or audiobook on Amazon Prime?

Sure, some popular books and audiobooks on Amazon Prime include "The Handmaid's Tale" by Margaret Atwood, "Becoming" by Michelle Obama, "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" by Stieg Larsson, and "Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline.

4. Are there any educational or informative shows on Amazon Prime?

Yes, Amazon Prime has a wide selection of educational and informative shows, including "The World's Most Extraordinary Homes", "The Brain with David Eagleman", "The Great Courses", and "NOVA".

5. Can I download shows or movies to watch offline on Amazon Prime?

Yes, Amazon Prime offers a download feature for select titles, which allows you to watch them offline on your device. Not all titles are available for download, but there is a wide selection to choose from.